Sign in with
Your question

6core able games

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2010 6:30:37 AM

I came across this article a little while ago. Interesting that dual cores are ending up in the "unusable" bin all of a sudden. This should put an end to "should I buy a dual or a quad" posts. If building new or upgrading and you play games......

http://redirectingat.com/?id=3429X610573&xs=1&url=http%...

More about : 6core games

a b à CPUs
October 18, 2010 7:15:03 AM

Interesting to see more 6 core capable games.Flight Simulator X was the only one that I previously knew that can utilize lots of extra cores.
Good job on that link to that article.
I've heard that the upcoming X-Plane 10 Simulation might be able to utilize up to 8 cores.
m
l
October 18, 2010 10:47:23 AM

I think it more on which games you wanted to play. Thanks for that article.
m
l
Related resources
a c 117 à CPUs
October 18, 2010 12:23:38 PM

I suspect what the article really sees is better load balancing from the OS from better optimized BIOSes for the x6 arch --- as opposed to a true spawning of six individual threads based upon game play.

And despite what we sometimes hear around here, fast dual cores are still quite formidable in the majority of games.

It would be interesting for Tom's to do an article with a fast quad around 3.6GHz with various core *affinity* designated -- even down to a single core.

Might makes some folks mad :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 18, 2010 3:06:36 PM

Quote:
I suspect what the article really sees is better load balancing from the OS from better optimized BIOSes for the x6 arch --- as opposed to a true spawning of six individual threads based upon game play.

Correct, unless EXPLICITY told otherwise, which core a thread is assigned to is left up to the OS, and due to various memory concerns, it makes sense from an OS standpoint to always use the first core as much as possible, unless a thread is fully independent and long-running.

And again, I note just because more cores are being used doesn't automatically equate to a performance gain...
m
l
!