Status
Not open for further replies.

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Hola. I am lookin to buy a Storm Sniper case for future proofing so I wont have to worry about a video card or heatsink being too big. I noticed on newegg there was a combo deal with a 600w CM psu, and I do need a psu atm, and since it is not one of the quality names I am used to hearing when it comes to psu (those being antec, corsair, seasonic, etc.) I wanted to run it by you guys and see if it is alright. Particularly, besides overall quality, I want to know if it would be able to run 2 gtx 460s in SLI since I plan on getting those later on. Thanks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
That silent pro psu is excellent and good enough for 2 gtx460.But i suggest you buy 650watt if you are planning to overclock.

Indeed I am planning to OC. So then it would be smart to go with the silent pro 650w version? Luckily for me there is also a combo with the storm sniper and that psu also :)

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
Then buy silent pro or real power.Both are top notch.

Well, I will take your word for it. It says you are a veteran so I am sure you know more then me when it comes to this stuff. I am on a tight budget so if I can save some money and still get a quality psu I cant complain. Besides, there is a chance that the bad revies about the gx series are just the vocal minority who had the bad luck of something bad happening. Even with the greatest items there are always a handful of people that dont like it for whatever reason. The only thing I am wondering about is the 650w does not say SLI ready or whatever, but I am not sure exactly what the pertains to.

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
I have the GX750w model, good so far, no problems..

People say these aint the best but ive had it for a while now and its been rock solid and perfect for my needs.

Again, with everything in the world, you will get bad reviews or a bad batch. Even the bestest maker of PSU will no doubt have a bad few out there..

To me the Coolermaster GX 750w is a good solid PSU.. Not the best brnad of PSU makers, but certainly not the worst. Would say these are half decent, if not decent.

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010
yeah m8..this was gr8.....coz i am in india.... and getting OCZ,Corsair,thermaltake or pretty much any other brand of psu's is a joke.....

CM seems to be available in plenty........

although the cost is roughly 1000 bucks per 100 watts....

how much would be enuff for an i7 with a gtx 460 or ati hd 5850/5830 but will be brought upto SLI/Xfire in about 8-9months time??

about 700 watts??

Why is that..??

They seldom get sold, thus are always available..

Actually, a good 550W PSU (definitely not one from the CM stable) will be enough.. However, getting a 650 watt unit is recommended..

Donot scare OP by posting rubbish.

Not sure about OP, but you seem to be scared.. OP listened to you just because you have a 'Veteran' rank.. On that note, OP should blindly follow JSC's remarks for he holds an 'Addict' ranking (he also holds a silver badge for this section)..

Coming back to the topic, CM PSU's fall short in quality when compared to the likes of Corsair, Seasonic, Antec and even XFX.. Its only logical to first try for the better one's..

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007

Seems OK on an overpowered i7 930 oc'd @ 3.801 and 2x GTX470 Oc'd :) Has been for months.. Says something about CM at least..

I never said it is crap.. What i mean is that, CM PSU's are a tier low when compared to some of the other brands available in the market.. As such, they should be kept as a second option only when none from the top tier(s) are available..

fcdwn777

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I just got the shell shocker deal email from newegg and I noticed this psu is on sale for 49 bucks with a promo code http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371031&Tpk=antec%20620w My question is, would that be a good psu choice or for 10 dollars more, after my current combos and discounts, should I go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&cm_re=corsair_650w-_-17-139-005-_-Product I know both are good brands and almost the same wattage, and as long as the antec is as good and provide enough power to run SLI in the future I dont mind saving 10 bucks. I would most likely be running 2 gtx 460s in SLI, just want to make sure the antec is quality and can handle it, if not I will stick with the corsair.

Timop

Distinguished
The Antec uses an older Seasonic design and is 48Wless, so the Corsair is preferred. But both are great PSUs.

But consider this combo, Lianli case and a XFX modular PSU for only $140 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.514542

The case is over an inch narrower, but if you're not using a giant cooler like a Megahalems and a side-fan you'll be fine. Build quality is a bit better than the CM. also.)

deletemach_kernel

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2010

well...thanks to corsair and their dealer/partner seminars this year, we could be seeing a better inflow of performance stuff here in india.... :bounce: :D

that said seems i might finally get my hands on a good OCZ or Corsair PSU freely by next year..... man i hate custom and excise..the same 1000$ build here costs almost 2000$ thanks to it......

Status
Not open for further replies.