Need advice on getting SLI for a gaming rig

Aggnog

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I'm planning to upgrade in the coming weeks and I've been looking into making a core i5 750 based system with a GTX 460 1gb. A dilemma I'm having is whether its worth going SLI or not. I've read about how good this card is in SLI and its really tempting to go for it, but I still have a few unresolved issues.

First of all, at first I decided to go for the Asus P7P55D standard mobo which from what I've heard is a pretty solid choice, the only problem with it though is that it doesn't support SLI and the cheapest alternatives with SLI Support that I found are the Asus P7P55D-E PRO and the EVGA p55 FTW which are still quite a bit more expensive. Are there any cheaper alternatives to this as it really bumps up the price quite a bit.

My second concern is power consumption, I'm currently using an Enermax liberty 500W PSU and I'm not sure if its up to the task of powering 2 cards.

As a last note, should I simply invest in more expensive motherboard with the idea of buying a second card later on? My issue with this is availability as I don't know how long it takes for a card to go off the market, especially since it has to be an identical model to mine.

This is one of the cheapest, quality mobos I've found that can SLI: MSI P55A-G55 $125 ($20 rebate, $3 shipping).

No I don't think your power supply would be able to support two of them in SLI. You would want a good 650W PSU to achieve this.

I think you could easily get away with waiting at least a little bit (the time it takes you to save up another ~$230 dollars) before buying another GTX 460.

Aggnog

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
In my area the only msi board available is the MSI P55-GD65, at the same price as the Asus P7P55D. Is there any real difference between these two except the SLI support?