Sign in with
Your question

Need some help with a PSU

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2010 9:41:01 AM

Well im ordering a graphics card. The EVGA GTX 260 SC EE, I knew I'd need a new psu to power it so i looked for one of those too. I found a nice OCZ 500w one. But I was re-reading some of the info on Evga's website and I found "Minimum of a 450 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 24 Amps.)" The 24amp part specifically.

Now i looked all around on the power supply info and I found some stuff that said 25A, I asked some friends and they agreed this PSU would work with this graphics card. But I thought id ask on here and see if this is factual.

Graphics Card>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

PSU>
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=17-341-...

I know this PSU isnt the top of the line, Really no point in getting anything overkill for my pc as it only has one PCI-E slot, not even sure if its 2.0 (think it is but will see). Also this psu should be ample for what its job is, 4gb ram+core2quad+1hd+1dvd+gtx260

Thanks in advance

More about : psu

a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 9:56:05 AM

OCZ is not that bad of a PSU, should run your system fine, wouldnt be any room for improvement though i believe (eg Sli, OClocking etc)

What is your budget, might be able to find you a more powerful PSU with would then be tranferable to a new system if/when you upgrade, as most PSU's are 3-5yeared Warranted, so "average" upgrade timeline for most is between the 2-3 year mark.

But that PSU you suggested would be fine IMO
m
l
October 18, 2010 10:07:31 AM

reccy said:
OCZ is not that bad of a PSU, should run your system fine, wouldnt be any room for improvement though i believe (eg Sli, OClocking etc)

What is your budget, might be able to find you a more powerful PSU with would then be tranferable to a new system if/when you upgrade, as most PSU's are 3-5yeared Warranted, so "average" upgrade timeline for most is between the 2-3 year mark.

But that PSU you suggested would be fine IMO

Well like i said only have one PCI-E slot so SLi isn't an option, Yeah it would be nice to buy a PSU thats transferable in the future but i honestly cant see myself getting a new PC for awhile unless this one just gives out. Its about 2 years old now. I'm hoping this graphics card will give me somewhat of a boost from the 8500GT I've got now. My price range is the PSU i listed basically Lol, Plus you agree it will be fine so it shouldn't be an issue. I basically just wanted to make sure about that 24A thing.. as the details on newegg were uber confusing, also I've never had to buy a PSU before. I usually Google everything i dont understand but i cant really do that for this question.

Does overclocking increase wattage used by a card? (never overclocked anything but i think that card comes with its own software to do so)
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 10:22:40 AM

Yeah, the more Overclock you do, the more wattage/power is draws from the PSU.
m
l
October 18, 2010 10:28:10 AM

Quote:
That psu has 2 +12v rail supplying 18a each. You normally can't add the two rails together like that. Each rail by itself might be able to handle 18A, but the single source feeding both can't usually output that much. Look at your PSU to see if it lists a max for both rails.

As said above that psu is good enough for that card.OC increases power consumption.

I know you guys are saying its good enough but...Do i need a stronger one that can supply 24A?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 10:30:29 AM

Its perfectly fine mate, go buy it and enjoy..
m
l
October 18, 2010 10:34:04 AM

Well thank you both for the help i appreciate it.
m
l
October 18, 2010 10:40:41 AM

one other thing... is there a way id be able to tell if i went over wattage o.o
well two...any chance of me frying my pc?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 12:14:54 PM

Yeah, the psu will do just fine, and you will be experiencing quite a big boost from a 8500 gt to gtx 260. Enjoy
m
l
October 18, 2010 5:27:30 PM

Quote:
Lol,there is no such thing as overwattage..

what does that even meannnn your talkin to a nab here, I dont know about wattages and stuff...Lol
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 5:30:43 PM

I think you mean ratehr than over wattage, you mean the PSU is being to heavily stressed, or trying to pull too much power to actually whats its rated to give..

Meaning - Your system is trying to draw more than the amount the PSU can handle.
m
l
October 18, 2010 5:36:20 PM

Dont have it yet just wondering if i should know warning signs of going over the 500w, at the moment my system runs on a factory 268w o.O (no idea how much it uses though)

since you guys were saying i might not be able to overclock or whatever
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 5:50:42 PM

It will be sluggish, under preformance, maybe restart all the time.. Ive never had a PSU blow up, or lack on me, so i wouldnt know.. These are only "guess".

The fact is, you have a decenet rated PSU. You should be fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
October 18, 2010 7:35:36 PM

For 6 dollars more, the one in my link is far superior, and it has 40 amps.
m
l
!