Sign in with
Your question

New GPU not working on motherboard

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2010 9:09:41 PM

Hi i got a 8200 Geforce motherboard and today I decided to take out my ati x1900 xtx and put my HD 3870 dulecore card in and the computers turns on all the fans fire up... and that's it? Ihe 3870 fan stays on max rev and the PC wont boot up.. so I figured the problem is my 400w PSU so i whacked in my 700W PSU but no still the same max revs no booting all the parts work fine because I tested in another motherboard both PCIe slots in each motherboard are 16x slots i cant see why there would be a problem.. except something as stupid as the 3870 is to beastly for this micro board.. I don't know any ideas? shane
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 3:32:45 AM

well most Nvidia motherboards are problematic so it is probably the mother board

and what do you mean 3870 dualcore? there is no such thing
August 10, 2010 10:46:01 AM

http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_radeonhd3870x2.aspx

Everything else works on it thou iv tried 3 other GPU's all work perfect.. It just seems like its not getting enough power?? thou both power connectors are in and the GPU itself is in nice and firm.. awe I don't want to be stuck here using these even older parts :( 
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 11:40:27 AM

everything is plug and play these days (PNP) but its more like "plug and prey" for anything nvidia, msi, via etc

welcome to the world of hardware
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2010 12:23:16 PM

If every other GPU works fine I would say the issue is likely the card itself
!