Quad or Six core?

Tesaga

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2010
Is six core meant for more CPU heavy games such as GTA IV and BFBC,or should a quad and an ATI radeon be just fine?

aln135

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
6 cores is essentially useless for gaming and in most cases dual core is fine. I would recommend going down the AMD route as its cheaper than the intel equivalent and offers similar level of performance in games. As for the GPU defo get at least an HD 5770 or better :D

aln135

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Yeah intel i7 CPU's are faster pretty much all games but is it worth paying the extra cash for a few extra FPS? - No
the i5 cpu's is pretty much neck and neck with the phenoms in most games but cost more so the phenom is the smart choice.

The only reason to consider an intel cpu is if money isn't a problem or you do a lot of video editing work or for bragging rights :)

aln135

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
unless your going multi GPU the phenoms are still more than efficient.
and besides most monitors cant output more than 60 FPS anyway,
ultimately it comes down to budget and personal preference

suteck

Distinguished
If your building a new gaming rig then you might as well go with the 6 core 980X, (6 cores, 6 threads), which Intel calls their 12 Core Processor You can upgrade your video cards, power supplies, memory and stuff at any time (or multiple times), during the life of the build - even motherboards. The most expensive part and the one that I usually build everything around is the CPU. Spend the money on that one to start with because down the road as games and applications and all get more cpu and gpu intensive, you will already have a head start on the brains of the operation! And that's at stock speeds :lol:

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Lol what about min framerate?A game which is running 15 or 5 frames faster will have better min framerate than a game running 15 or 5 frames slower.

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/191?vs=146

I5 vs fastest amd.I5 beats it in every games.That shows how much phenom sucks as compared to iseries when it comes to gaming.

Lets talk 'bout the mainstream.

The X4 955 is 55$ cheaper than the i5 750. Add to that the cheaper mobos. With the saved money you can get a better GPU.

Timop

Distinguished
Lol what about min framerate?A game which is running 15 or 5 frames faster will have better min framerate than a game running 15 or 5 frames slower.

www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/191?vs=146

I5 vs fastest amd.I5 beats it in every games.That shows how much phenom sucks as compared to iseries when it comes to gaming.
Well, here the 980X vs. 1090T, $700 gets you 30 more fps. Fancy.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/191?vs=102

Heres a more fair comparison, 970BE vs i5 760, performs ~~15% worse for 20% less ($180 vs $210). Factoring in the money you can save with the Mobo, its not a bad choice at all.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/186?vs=191

G

Just get an AMD quad core with a decent graphics card if you wanna spend few more bucks, get an i7. Either way you'll run games just fine.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
To answer OP's question:

Don't waste your money on a six core for gaming. A quad core is way more worth the money for gaming. Only 2 games can make use of a six core CPU: Napoleon Total War and FSX.

I recommend either the PII X4 955/965 or the i5 750/760. These CPU's are going to give you the best bang for the buck.

@ dipankar2007ind:

I'm just saying that the PII X4 CPU's are more budget friendly than the i5 quads. Plus with the saved money you can get a better GPU. For example if you get the HD 5770 with the i5 750 you can get the GTX460 with the PII X4 955.

Certainly..... a Hexa is going to be the biggest foundation for the future..
So application within the next few years are certainly going to be making a full utilization of the Hexa's, so if I was to put it according to you.
Yes, a hexacore would be a good investment....

nrauer

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
The games out barely use the The quad I7 920 never mind a six core, Dont waiste your money, Save it for another video card to make it run better/ faster not your CPU.

Yes it's a 6 core CPU and the Sandy bridges are going to be from 2 to 8 core and twice the number of threads..... they're also expected to come out only by the end of next year.....
So if you're looking for long life the AMD way go for a 6 Core....
For yesterdays, today's and tomorrows gaming go for a Quad core
And if you want to build a whole new system with a lot of cash to burn and patience to wait ... wait for the Sandy bridge..... or go for the i7 extreme.....

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010

The point is Intel's 6 cores uses Hyperthreading 2 threads-per-core, so for 6-cores it works like 12 cores. While AMD doesn't have Hyperthreading so 6-cores will work as 6-cores. Done explaining then. Now back to topic.

Exactly the point , you asked the wrong question in the wrong place in the wrong way.....
Your question was answered in the first 3 posts itself.....
The new question was what complicated matters foreseeable uses of the 6 Core for the future.......

Well of course there will be but at the same time both the major chip manufacturers have a big season ahead with a variety of new technology.....

So if you're planing to buy now with an insight into the future, it going to be a sad case, cos by this time next year, nearly everything will change.......