Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Gaming Center Help Requested

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 9, 2010 9:25:45 PM

I will be opening a gaming center in the upcoming months, and am trying to decide on a computer build. I don't have much to go by, because the closest gaming center from here is about three hours away. However, I do know that said gaming center is doing pretty well (300+ seats, usually pretty full) in a city smaller than my own, and using some pretty outdated equipment. I had originally planned on about $1k per system including OS, monitor, and peripherals, but after looking around it seems most other gaming centers us really old cheap computers.

So I was hoping some people who have frequented cafes in the past could provide their opinions on hardware. Personally, most games that I play at a competitive level I play with settings on low, because it's simply much easier to tell what's going on in the game. At the same time, I enjoy playing at max settings on games that I play casually.

There's just such a large difference between 1k per system and 700 per system. Half of the research I've done states that I need to have bleeding edge hardware to attract customers, and the other half says I can buy the crappiest stuff possible because most people don't care if a game runs on low.

Anyone have an opinion on this?
August 9, 2010 9:39:25 PM

Just make mainstream systems with AMD CPUs so its affordable to upgrade :) 
do some more research, take a poll.. and stuff umm, thats all i have to say
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 9:53:38 PM

Mr Pizza said:
Just make mainstream systems with AMD CPUs so its affordable to upgrade :) 
do some more research, take a poll.. and stuff umm, thats all i have to say


Well, I'm not overly worried about upgrade potential, as I figure I will upgrade them once a year or so, depending on how often new games that push the graphical limits are released.

My main issue is whether or not people will even want max graphics, or if medium would suffice. I mean, it's really hard to collect data on that outside of asking around on forums. The local Gamestops won't let me put up survey fliers, and neither will schools, so I don't really have anywhere local to ask.

As an example though, one of the larger cafes north of me (the one with 300+ seats) has the following computer specs:

# AMD Phenom II X3 2.8Ghz cores
# H.I.S. ATI 4890 Video Card with 1GB of ram
# 4GB of Corsair Gamer Ram

This is great for Counterstrike and stuff, but I'm not sure how well that would do with newer MMOs, or single player games. I feel that aside from the social aspect, the next reason to go to a cyber cafe is for the hardware. If the cafe is running $400 computers, I'd rather just go ahead and buy my own, you know? I'd personally want my games to be high quality in the graphics department.
m
0
l
Related resources
August 9, 2010 10:09:33 PM

Serejai said:
Well, I'm not overly worried about upgrade potential, as I figure I will upgrade them once a year or so, depending on how often new games that push the graphical limits are released.

My main issue is whether or not people will even want max graphics, or if medium would suffice. I mean, it's really hard to collect data on that outside of asking around on forums. The local Gamestops won't let me put up survey fliers, and neither will schools, so I don't really have anywhere local to ask.

As an example though, one of the larger cafes north of me (the one with 300+ seats) has the following computer specs:

# AMD Phenom II X3 2.8Ghz cores
# H.I.S. ATI 4890 Video Card with 1GB of ram
# 4GB of Corsair Gamer Ram

This is great for Counterstrike and stuff, but I'm not sure how well that would do with newer MMOs, or single player games. I feel that aside from the social aspect, the next reason to go to a cyber cafe is for the hardware. If the cafe is running $400 computers, I'd rather just go ahead and buy my own, you know? I'd personally want my games to be high quality in the graphics department.


Well how about building a server and hosting lan parties? people bring their own stuff and you get popular and you get sponsored and blah blah blah
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 10:37:24 PM

U better get computers with:

athlon ii x3 440 rana

xfx ati 4670

2gb ram ddr3 g.skill 1333mhz

asus m4a77td

320gb western digital caviar blue

corsair 450w psu

nxzt gamma or some other chap-good quality case

windows 7 home premium

19'' lcd monitor widescreen

all for arround $600 per pc

and with that u an play all the games with very good resolutions
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 11:53:17 PM

Mr Pizza said:
Well how about building a server and hosting lan parties? people bring their own stuff and you get popular and you get sponsored and blah blah blah


You can't run a gaming cafe without computers like that. Most people, myself included, don't have a computer they can just pick up and carry somewhere. That also excludes all business from casual gamers who don't own a computer, or have a computer that isn't fast enough to run games.

As for an X3... Would that be strong enough to run games for another 3-4 years? I'm hoping to get a two year life span out of the comps before upgrading a video card for another two years. That's the most cost efficient route I've found, but I'm not sure an x3 could handle that. Even worried about an X4.

Also, I would need a 5xxx card for the DX11 since I can't upgrade it for two years. Likewise, 2GB of ram just won't cut it. I have four in my three year old comp, and even that is borderline in some games. 2GB wasn't even enough a few years ago, so 4GB seems pretty mandatory.
m
0
l
August 9, 2010 11:57:18 PM

Serejai said:
You can't run a gaming cafe without computers like that. Most people, myself included, don't have a computer they can just pick up and carry somewhere. That also excludes all business from casual gamers who don't own a computer, or have a computer that isn't fast enough to run games.

As for an X3... Would that be strong enough to run games for another 3-4 years? I'm hoping to get a two year life span out of the comps before upgrading a video card for another two years. That's the most cost efficient route I've found, but I'm not sure an x3 could handle that. Even worried about an X4.

Also, I would need a 5xxx card for the DX11 since I can't upgrade it for two years. Likewise, 2GB of ram just won't cut it. I have four in my three year old comp, and even that is borderline in some games. 2GB wasn't even enough a few years ago, so 4GB seems pretty mandatory.

you would be surprised how many people do have a mid-range gaming PC that they can take somewhere :) 
m
0
l
August 10, 2010 12:31:27 AM

lol games uses at the most just 3 cores and 3gb of ram... and dx11 its just for have better graphics and bla bal bla.. but the important thing here is to run games... so with that u will can do it. and its better to buy cheaper pc and upgrading than buy expencive pc once
m
0
l
!