Sign in with
Your question

Help With Building A Computer

Tags:
Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2010 9:50:35 PM

Hi,

I am looking at building a new computer for myself, I am quite experienced with computers however not with building them so I am unsure on some aspects and if anyone in the community can help me I would be very grateful.

I have had a look around at components for the system and this is what I have found so far:

Case:
X-Case Mars Midi Tower with 500 Watt Power Unit + 2 Fans

Motherboard:
Intel DP55KG ATX

CPU:
Intel i7-860 2.8GHz, 8MB Cache

RAM:
Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3-1600 PC3-12800

Hard Drive:
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA

Graphics Card:
Zotax GeForce GTX 460 1GB

DVD Drive:
LG CH08 Internal SATA BD-ROM/DVD

I will use the computer for primarily games, both in the use and the creation of them as I am Games student at uni. I have done as much research as I can and I think it is all-right, but I want to be sure.

My questions are as follows:

- Is the power enough for the system?
- If I put this hardware together will the computer blow up? (Compatibility)
- Is this a good system?
- Is there anything I have missed?

Thank you if you answer my questions, I really appreciate it.

Cheers,
Robert Watkins

More about : building computer

August 9, 2010 10:15:43 PM

and please put links
Related resources
August 9, 2010 10:18:21 PM

Not great part selection. Whats your budget and where are you going to be getting your parts from?

The power supplies that come with cases tend to be the cheapest unit they could find that they stuck in there so i recommend getting the case and power supply seperately so you ensure you get a quality unit.

The Intel board isnt going to give you many options in BIOS, they are very stable but are very restricted on options. I suggest a board from ASUS or Gigabyte if you can.

The caviar green is going to be rather slow, a samsung F3 1TB should be about the same price and will be a lot faster.

Are you going to be watching bluray movies? If not just getting a regular DVD burner can save you quite a bit.
August 10, 2010 1:32:23 AM

Quote:
X-Case Mars Midi Tower with 500 Watt Power Unit + 2 Fans

Now that's just an accident waiting to happen :non:  A dependable, quality PSU is the foundation of many a stable rig
!