Motherboard for a AMD Phenom II X6 1055T build?

alexchadwick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Hello,

I'm looking to build my first pc and I'd be very grateful if someone with the knowledge and experience would take a look at this for me and dish out some pointers.

So far my builds looking like it will include:
ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 880G Socket AM3 HDMI DVI VGA Out 8 Channel Audio MATX Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 2.8GHz 9MB Cache Socket AM3 Retail Box Processor
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9(9-9-9-24) 1.65V
Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Dual-Band PCI Adapter
Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
Antec 900 Nine Hundred - Gaming Case with 200mm Top Fan - No PSU
Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail
Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM

I think I'm set on all of the components apart from the Motherboard, mostly because I'm not entirely sure what makes or breaks a motherboard. I chose this motherboard seemed to be a reasonable spec and it had a decent intergrate GPU, saving money in the short term.
The emphasis on my build is *intended* to be a meeting of upgradeable and reasonable price/performance. I really want it to last.

As a side note I've heard that it would be necessary to update the BIOS, and to do this do I need another CPU? Would a little dirt cheap AMD Sempron 3400+ do the job? Or is there going to be an issue getting a CPU that old in to a AM3 motherboard?

Many thanks.

There are some consideration when choosing a mobo :
1. Are you planning to OC?
2. You wanna XFire?
3. Any special wishes? Firewire? RAID? eSATA? Max SATA port? Onboard graphic? Particular brand preferences? Anything else?
4. Most important, budget?

alexchadwick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010

1. Yes, I figure this is probably the cheapest way to increase performance(yes?)
2. Yes or at least I'd like to leave the option open for the future.
3. Firewire,RAID and an Onboard graphic would all be nice. No brand preference, I think thats it.
4. Budget for the motherboard is about $175, if I go through with the other components. Its about $950 for the entire build.

Sorry to pester you but if you were choosing a motherboard for this price range with a focus on upgrades, what would you want from it? Or is the budget too low, I'd rather spend more time saving and get it right than waste my money.

Thanks again

alexchadwick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010

Is that a commonly known fact? Or from your personal experience?
Out of interest how long would Asus and Msi boards last?

Thanks again.

alexchadwick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010

Would you say either of these are better than the one I picked out? I couldn't see much of a difference sorry.

So do you think a 650W PSU is overkill? What about with an eye to the future, do you think in the next upgrade in maybe 5-10 years a 500W would still be okay? Or would a PSU be dead by then anyway?

Thanks again.

THe PSU is an overkill if you are not going to XFire. But if you plan for 2 HD5970...it may even too tight...
So...plan well1

alexchadwick

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
Thank you very much to everyone who replied! Your help was much appreciated! After reading your comments I've decided to stick with the ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 880G,but I'm much more confident about it now.

Thanks again