thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hi,

My brother, who is not a member of Tom's, recently converted from Mac to PC. I helped him along with building a computer and putting it together, and he enjoys tinkering and fiddling with the thing.

However, about a day after he got everything together and working, the computer would randomly start flashing the monitor and turn grainy before blue screening. At first we thought it was the GPU because this happened primarily while playing games. Later on I was talking to a friend who suggested that a blue screen is typically a hard drive issue. This would make sense, seeing as a faulty GPU wouldn't display anything in the first place.

Now we are poised to RMA the drive and see what happens from there, though I get the feeling we are entering this blind. We still arent 100% sure what the problem is. If anyone could give some pointers, previous experiences or suggestions, my brother and I would be grateful. If you need more information please feel free to ask.

System specs for the build are as follows:

Asus 785G AM3 motherboard

Phenom II 955 Black

4GB Corsair Dominator

HIS 5770

Corsair 750W Modular

Thermaltake V9 Blackx edition case

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
@EMERALD -- No I have not, though we are planning on doing this.

@Ubrales -- This is an AMD build, and that aside, me and my brother have the same build, same motherboard and CPU and memory. I have no problems, so the voltage is probably fine, though I will double check to be sure.

Also, the power supply is mounted on the bottom facing down and is on carpet, which kept alot of air from getting to it. To remedy this, we sat it on a plastic lid and it has been sucking more air. Could this problem be related to that?

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Unfortunately... His computer is continuing these problems now. We added a new hard drive and even tried a different GPU, all to no avail. He suspects it's the motherboard causing all of this trouble, but I think if the motherboard were damaged it wouldn't boot properly anyway. The RAM appears to be working since we tested each stick. I am poised to take apart my computer and test out each of his parts with mine, though a fix for his would be preferable.

If any of you have any other ideas about what this could be, please do tell. The Blue screens he has been getting read something about a memory dump, which is preceded by horizontal staticy stripes. Thanks in advance for any possible information.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Managed to get the computer started again, and it gave me a message saying "windows must now restard because the Plug and Play service terminated unexpectedly"

I got the event viewer open. Read as follows:

MMC could not create the snap-in.

MMC could not create the snap-in. The snap-in might not have been installed correctly.

Name:Event Viewer

CLSID:
FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-4363-be05-7a

Does any of this make sense?

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks! I hope this helps with the blue screens. As you might understand this has been incredibly frustrating for both me and my brother, who is used to the simplicity of owning a Mac.

He gets off of work at 10, so I'll inform him of this when he is back. Thanks again for the help, and I'll give you an update after we've implemented the change.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Right, so we did that, and renamed it from "MMC.exe" to "mmc.exe.config.bak" and now whenever you try to open the event viewer it doesn't recognize the file and asks what program we want to use to open it...

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Event ID 41. With more research I found out is has something to do with abrupt power loss. Basically shutting off the computer or unplugging it. I attribute this to the bluescreen. Right now my brother is rebuilding his index in the belief this is system instability.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Well my brother rebuilt the index last night and it appears to be working okay. We will run a memory test just to be 100%, and I'll mention the other stuff. Thank you so much for your help! I know Geek Squad qould have charged like $300 and wouldn't have helped.