Fujitsu LifeBook Atheros Wireless Lan ceased functioning

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
November 29, 2004 2:24:53 PM

My neighbor has a Lifebook P Series 5020D. Everything was running well with it when we set it all up this summer, but
recently he is no longer able to connect to his wireless network, or any wireless for that matter. It never finds a
network, even though we know one exists and I can connect to his or my network with no problems.

We have looked at his wireless connection, and it is all correct, his device manager settings say all is go. There is
nothing in the BIOS that says you can turn off the card. So how do I tell if the onboard ATHEROS wireless is in deed
dead, or if something else changed in the machine that prevents him from connecting wirelessly anymore.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any pointers or help.

Skip Hollowell
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
November 29, 2004 2:24:54 PM

Thomas 'Skip' Hollowell wrote:
> My neighbor has a Lifebook P Series 5020D. Everything was running
> well with it when we set it all up this summer, but recently he is no
> longer able to connect to his wireless network, or any wireless for
> that matter. It never finds a network, even though we know one
> exists and I can connect to his or my network with no problems.
> We have looked at his wireless connection, and it is all correct, his
> device manager settings say all is go. There is nothing in the BIOS
> that says you can turn off the card. So how do I tell if the onboard
> ATHEROS wireless is in deed dead, or if something else changed in the
> machine that prevents him from connecting wirelessly anymore.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for any pointers or help.
>
> Skip Hollowell

Google for lspfix.exe and winsockxpfix.exe. Run both and see if
anything improves. Also, open the TCP/IP properties, advanced tab,
TCP/IP filtering and verify that all three ports/protocols are Permit
All. If the router can be accessed, turn off WEP/WPA, broadcast SSID
(there is no point in disabling this), turn off MAC address filtering or
simply reset to defaults and try a basic connection. If the ISP is
broadband, power down the modem and router, bring up the modem after a
minute and then power the router.

a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
December 2, 2004 10:58:05 PM

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but have you tried the push button on
the left of the on-off switch? I have a 5010D and I have a button to turn
the wi-fi card off if I'm not using it. I hope that's all it is.
Good luck!

--
Ken Wolf
kwolf8380@comcast.net
> My neighbor has a Lifebook P Series 5020D. Everything was running well
> with it when we set it all up this summer, but recently he is no longer
> able to connect to his wireless network, or any wireless for that matter.
> It never finds a network, even though we know one exists and I can connect
> to his or my network with no problems.
>
> We have looked at his wireless connection, and it is all correct, his
> device manager settings say all is go. There is nothing in the BIOS that
> says you can turn off the card. So how do I tell if the onboard ATHEROS
> wireless is in deed dead, or if something else changed in the machine that
> prevents him from connecting wirelessly anymore.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks for any pointers or help.
>
> Skip Hollowell
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
December 6, 2004 7:28:34 PM

Ken Wolf wrote:
> I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but have you tried the push button on
> the left of the on-off switch? I have a 5010D and I have a button to turn
> the wi-fi card off if I'm not using it. I hope that's all it is.
> Good luck!

Not a smart aleck at all. Once I got the model number from my neighbor, I hit the support site and downloaded the
*gasp* owner's manual, and found that little gem on page 55. Told him about it, and voila. Guess his statment of "I
didn't do anything..." was not 100% true, now was it?

Thanks for the post.

Skip
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 12:06:26 AM

Skip;
Glad that you found the "problem" and fixed it:-)

--
message news:feadnShmkZafUincRVn-1g@wideopenwest.com...
> Ken Wolf wrote:
>> I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but have you tried the push button on
>> the left of the on-off switch? I have a 5010D and I have a button to turn
>> the wi-fi card off if I'm not using it. I hope that's all it is.
>> Good luck!
>>

> Not a smart aleck at all. Once I got the model number from my neighbor, I
> hit the support site and downloaded the *gasp* owner's manual, and found
> that little gem on page 55. Told him about it, and voila. Guess his
> statment of "I didn't do anything..." was not 100% true, now was it?
>
> Thanks for the post.
>
> Skip
June 6, 2009 7:00:39 AM

I also want to thank this post!!
After a year of using an USB add on adapter, I decided to look up whether I should put in a different internal wireless card and came across this post.
Another lesson to read the manual.

The confusing thing for me was that the adapter shows up as working normally in the device manger etc, so it seems counterintiuitive that there would be a switch that actually enables looking for the wireless networks.

JJ

Quote:

Ken Wolf wrote:
> I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but have you tried the push button on
> the left of the on-off switch? I have a 5010D and I have a button to turn
> the wi-fi card off if I'm not using it. I hope that's all it is.
> Good luck!

Not a smart aleck at all. Once I got the model number from my neighbor, I hit the support site and downloaded the
*gasp* owner's manual, and found that little gem on page 55. Told him about it, and voila. Guess his statment of "I
didn't do anything..." was not 100% true, now was it?

Thanks for the post.

Skip

June 6, 2009 7:02:53 AM

I also want to thank this post!!
After a year of using an USB add on adapter, I decided to look up whether I should put in a different internal wireless card and came across this post.
Another lesson to read the manual.

The confusing thing for me was that the adapter shows up as working normally in the device amanger etc, so it seesm counter-intiuitive that there would be a switch that actually enables looking for wireless networks.

JJ[

quotemsg=127641,4,226749]Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Ken Wolf wrote:
> I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but have you tried the push button on
> the left of the on-off switch? I have a 5010D and I have a button to turn
> the wi-fi card off if I'm not using it. I hope that's all it is.
> Good luck!

Not a smart aleck at all. Once I got the model number from my neighbor, I hit the support site and downloaded the
*gasp* owner's manual, and found that little gem on page 55. Told him about it, and voila. Guess his statment of "I
didn't do anything..." was not 100% true, now was it?

Thanks for the post.

Skip[/quotemsg]
January 15, 2011 8:03:05 PM

Yes. That was it. Time lost: ~2hrs.
For the love of God, why exactly is there such a switch? Fujitsu has a long way to go in user interface design.
December 2, 2011 7:43:30 PM

Pardon me but IMHO you're not being fair to the mother of all netbooks, Fujitsu!
Don't you know why there's a switch for the wifi...??
So... U have to learn a bit more about such sucker connections, lol...
:o
When you're not into wifi-ing, save the baby's juice w/o it on!
That's what that 'thing' is built for, darlings!
Have a very Merry Dec time!
:hello:
!