ASUS M4N75TD: BSOD's flashing and system freezing

farmerbill256

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Hello there,

This has been an issue which has continued for a little over a week now, but for absolutely no reason has gotten worse. My specifications are listed below:

CPU: AMD Phenom ll X6 1055T @ 2.8Ghz
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Motherboard: ASUS M4N75TD
GPU: 1: Zotac GeForce 570GTX running at stock speeds (Primary Graphics Card)
2: Xfx Geforce 9600GT running at stock speeds (Dedicated to PhysX)

HDD: 1: WDC Velociraptor 10,000RPM 74GB Drive (For OS)
2: WDC 640GB Drive (For Programs and Games)
3: WDC 1.6TB Drive (For Media Storage)

PSU: Cosair 750TX (750 Watt)

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (32-bit)

The issue has typically been:
1. Complete freezes once booted in windows (these freezes means nothing responds, however you can hear the hard drives frantically reading/writing but the HDD indicator does not light). Nothing responds at all but windows still remains open. This has never happened within a game, instead in a game the problem is normally the others listed below.

2. Sudden BSOD's ONCE on the Desktop and using applications where the computer stutters, there is a flash of a blue screen where it doesn't give me enough time to read the information or error message, then it restarts the entire system.

3. Sudden BSOD's exactly the same as the one listed above (where it flashes it up on the screen then restarts) but this time it crashes as windows ends the login screen (where there is a loading circle and it displays the message "Welcome")

Each of these issues have happened on more than one occasion and it does not happen in any expected pattern.

Recently it took a turn for the worst, and the system would not even boot to BIOS. Using a spare computer, I have started reading up on the issue and have got it down to faulty RAM. I took one of the RAM sticks out (the one I could reach without removing the CPU fan), and oddly the BIOS booted and I am now in windows typing to you on this forum using the computer with these issues.

However the problem has persisted, when I take this RAM stick out, windows boots but can still have one of the three issues listed earlier (Flashing BSOD's and System Freezes), which leads me to assume that the other stick is also faulty?

I have also used the Windows repair tools, and even during the repair process (where the repairs are running through the CD, not the OS), it can have any of the above issues also. I have used the memory diagnostic tool (which first found an issue (no message on what it might be), and then the next time it ran after that, there was no reported issue...), and also the system backup recovery tool. But neither of these worked even when they weren't interrupted by the BSOD's and freezing, which led me back to believing this is entirely hardware related.

QUESTION:

What I would like to know is whether both the sticks actually can be faulty (which I am doubting as it seems to have two sticks of RAM faulty is very rare), or that the motherboard is currently experiencing issues. Or that it is something unrelated to this.

farmerbill256

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2011
Sorry for the double post, but I was unable to edit the original post.

The reason that BIOS didn't post was due to my own idiocy... For no reason (Even though the memory channels are colour co-ordinated) I had put the "faulty" ram stick in the second channel's first slot, instead of the first channel's second slot. Now it has posted and reached windows.

However the other issues seems to persist.