New build - freezes on video streaming

Hey there, (system in sig)

I just built a new system a few weeks ago and most everything is working wonderfully. However, I have had 3 freezes and after the last one I figured I needed to get some help as I'm newer to troubleshooting issues.

The first "freeze": Last week, streaming video - speakers stuttered, screen froze, couldn't do a thing, had to force a reboot

Second: Youtube video, stuttering speakers, screen froze, forced reboot

Third: Same as first.

I have checked all my drivers to make sure they're up to date as I figured that would be the first issue. My CPU temp hovers between 31 - 37 degrees. At this point I'm just out of things I know to look for :) Any help is appreciated and feel free to explain hows, whys and such as it might help me learn and avoid bothering you again ;)
6 answers Last reply
More about build freezes video streaming
  1. To solve a similar problem in my new build, I raised the CPU voltage in the BIOS. Working fine now. Make sure you do not exceed the manufacturer's limits on voltage.

I don't think that you will have a temp problem by doing this, but pay close attention to the temps anyway.
  2. What does raising the voltages actually do? I've avoided changing any base settings of the hardware so far.
  3. Check the event viewer for errors.
    Start-->run-->eventvwr.msc-->look at the system and application logs for errors (red X's)
  4. Cywren said:
    What does raising the voltages actually do? I've avoided changing any base settings of the hardware so far.

Video processing is CPU intensive, and CPU intensive applications require more power - hence more voltage. But keep it within manufacturer's limits.
  5. Streaming video isn't very resource intensive. Even P4s with onboard video can play youtube clips.
  6. aford10 said:
    Streaming video isn't very resource intensive. Even P4s with onboard video can play youtube clips.

You are right! I was trying to do video capture, editing, and burning on DVDs - it took forever and a day on a P4! Much faster on an i7
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Streaming Video New Build Systems