Would you recommend an SSD with no 4K Random speed in specs?

rladngus

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
The ADATA Premier Pro SP900 ASP900S3-256GM-C 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) is looking extremely attractive with its ultra low price tag for 256GB of storage. Even when you look at the specs, it has very high max sequential read/write speeds (over 500 both). The only problem I have with this guy is that the specs won't show the 4K Random speeds. They're pretty important so why aren't they shown? Is it because they're really low? Is this drive worth it for how cheap it is?

Solution
ADATA is NOT on my list of recommended SSD's. Don't mess around and spend just a little extra to ensure quality.

Recommend list:
- Samsung 830 or 840
- OCZ Vertex 4
- Intel 320 or newer
- (possibly Crucial M4)

My advice is shop around and get one of these. I usually recommend a 120GB SSD for Windows + applications as well as a HARD DRIVE for everything else (Games, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, Backup of C-Drive).

While 256GB might seem enough and maybe it's an ideal size for you, either way you should get a Hard Drive and use a backup tool and maker periodic images of your C-drive in case of drive failure or virus infection that can't be fixed. The free version of Acronis True Image can be used with Western Digital or Seagate drives...
Companies pick and choose which synthetic benchmark results they want to advertise. They usually pick the benchmark results that makes their ssd's look good. The problem with synthetic benchmarks is they are not real. That's why they are called synthetic. They were specifically designed to grossly exaggerate very very minor performance differences in ssd's. Modern 3rd generation ssd's form a fairly tight performance cluster. Users can't tell the difference in blind tests. The other problem is that synthetic benchmarks do not accurately represent real world performance. At best they are only a very very rough approximation of real world performance.

In yesterday's thread I posted a link to the ssd database. Did you bother to follow the link and read the ADA Premier Pro SP900 technical reviews? If not here is the link again:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

I suggest you read the reviews to get a much better idea about the SP900 performance.

ADATA is NOT on my list of recommended SSD's. Don't mess around and spend just a little extra to ensure quality.

Recommend list:
- Samsung 830 or 840
- OCZ Vertex 4
- Intel 320 or newer
- (possibly Crucial M4)

My advice is shop around and get one of these. I usually recommend a 120GB SSD for Windows + applications as well as a HARD DRIVE for everything else (Games, Downloads, Pictures, Videos, Backup of C-Drive).

While 256GB might seem enough and maybe it's an ideal size for you, either way you should get a Hard Drive and use a backup tool and maker periodic images of your C-drive in case of drive failure or virus infection that can't be fixed. The free version of Acronis True Image can be used with Western Digital or Seagate drives detected (even USB). A good choice is the WD 2TB GREEN drive, though you may already have a drive.

IMAGING TIPS:
1) Make a backup IMAGE and keep this one always
2) Make a monthly IMAGE then delete the older one to save space
3) Consider the full version of Acronis True Image 2013 which can automate this procedure ($50 or less on sale)

CLONING:
If you already have a hard drive you can buy an SSD and simply CLONE to it. Ask if you need more information.

Solution