Sign in with
Your question

I5 GA-55A- no POST, no beeps, no NOTHING! help!

Last response: in Systems
August 9, 2010 11:54:38 PM

This is a new build consisting of:

GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3
Intel Core i5 760
GeIL Ultra PLUS 4GB (2 x 2GB)
TruePower 2.0 480W PSU
ASUS CuCore Series EAH5770

Yes, I have read the helpful guide here at Toms's. The system is currently on my bench (on the mb box) and not in the case. Yes, the CPU connector is plugged in. I have no idea what the prob is - I have swapped the RAM (now have 1 stick installed) tried 2 video cards...I am out of ideas! All the fans on the MB spin up but I get no beeps/no post (and yes, I have a MB speaker installed).

Possible problems: PSU? seems weird, as it was working perfectly fine this morning on my old computer. It does only have a 4pin CPU power connector and the MB has 8 pins, but from what I have read, it should still work/post, no?

The ram is 1.6v rather than 1.5v. Still, this shouldnt stop it from POSTing, should it?

Other than that, I have no ideas. any help would be appreciated.

More about : 55a post beeps

August 10, 2010 12:16:00 AM

that PSU might not be enough... did you plug the power connector into the GPU? is the GPU fan spinning? eh, 20/24 pin installed? plug the 4-pin into a different part of the 8 pin? make sure your monitor is connected tight
m
l
August 10, 2010 12:22:34 AM

I really hope it isn't the PSU - mostly because I have no way of testing it other than simply buying a new one and I dont really have the cash for that - especially if the one I have now works! If it was underpowered, would it simply not POST at all?

Yes, the PSU is plugged into the GPU and the fan is spinning. The MB is connected in two places - the 4 PIN and the 24 and all seems snug to me :fou: 

I dont understand why I get no beeps or display at all. I have tried with 1 stick of Ram, no RAM...GPU and no GPU...I would be happy at this point with some BEEPS telling me something was wrong rather than the deafening silence of the GPU and CPU fans and nothing else...
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2010 12:25:35 AM

fattony2010 said:
I really hope it isn't the PSU - mostly because I have no way of testing it other than simply buying a new one and I dont really have the cash for that - especially if the one I have now works! If it was underpowered, would it simply not POST at all?

Yes, the PSU is plugged into the GPU and the fan is spinning. The MB is connected in two places - the 4 PIN and the 24 and all seems snug to me :fou: 

I dont understand why I get no beeps or display at all. I have tried with 1 stick of Ram, no RAM...GPU and no GPU...I would be happy at this point with some BEEPS telling me something was wrong rather than the deafening silence of the GPU and CPU fans and nothing else...

Its your PSU most likely.. what brand?
your PC takes ~460 watts, thats really borderline.. REALLY borderline.... is the PSU fan spinning?
m
l
August 10, 2010 12:31:29 AM

PSU = Antec TruePower 2.0 480W PSU. Ya, the fan is spinning and it does work (or DID work as of this morning). It was running fine in my old computer. I guess the question is: is 480w enough for the new computer? And if not, could that cause the new computer not to POST at all?
m
l
August 10, 2010 12:33:58 AM

Have you tried seating your RAM in a diffrent slot, when I put my first build together same thing happned to me the last thing I tried was seating the RAM in diffrent slots. Use 1 stick in the first then try and boot, cycle through each slot 1 or twice.
m
l
August 10, 2010 12:41:50 AM

Unplug the PCIe power to the video card. That will decrease the power drain on the PSU, and should supply a beep code of some sort.
m
l
August 10, 2010 12:57:49 AM

moe112 said:
Have you tried seating your RAM in a different slot, when I put my first build together same thing happned to me the last thing I tried was seating the RAM in different slots. Use 1 stick in the first then try and boot, cycle through each slot 1 or twice.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Ya, I have tried the RAM in every slot, one stick at a time. Nothing seemed to work and the results were the same. I also tried booting with no RAM (expecting some serious BEEPs, but getting nothing) and tried booting without the VidCard (and without power to the Vidcard as well) and still get nothing. I am really frustrated and I can't think of what else it could be!

I should also note that PSU is now back in the old desky and working flawlessly. So if it is a PSU issue, it would have to be the fact that it is underpowered rather than a dead PSU. And really, 480w isnt enough? at least to boot? : (
m
l
August 10, 2010 1:06:37 AM

As long as you have the 4 pin CPU power plugged into the port securely, and the speaker on correct, you should at least get a beep code with the video card unplugged. Sounds like you have a bad motherboard.
m
l
August 10, 2010 1:13:30 AM

aford10 said:
As long as you have the 4 pin CPU power plugged into the port securely, and the speaker on correct, you should at least get a beep code with the video card unplugged. Sounds like you have a bad motherboard.

: ( That blows. I tried it 100x and made doubly sure everything was seated properly. And the PC Speaker definitely works (tested it on the old comp too and heard a reassuring BEEP at startup). How often are mobos DOA? I have built a few computers before this, and it always went totally smoothly.
m
l
August 10, 2010 1:16:03 AM

It's one of the more frequent DOA components. It just happens sometimes.
m
l
August 10, 2010 1:20:39 AM

: ( Crappy. I really wanted to use this new computer today. If I RMA it, it could be weeks before I see a new MoBo! I guess there really is nothing else it could be. Just disappointing after spending the better part of a day trying to get it to work. But I really haven't had a mobo at least BEEP at me when it get it wrong. The total silence is weird.

I should also note that all 4 Phase LEDs are light up - but from what I have read, that is normal...
m
l
August 10, 2010 1:37:46 AM

Wish I had better news.....good luck!
m
l
!