Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Different Manufacturers

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2010 2:57:53 AM

I've seen that different manufacturers can make certain graphics cards with different amounts of RAM. I thought they're all typically the same except the accessories and clocking and such. Does the manufacturer of the card actually affect it that much?

For example I was looking up the HD 5850 and I saw Sapphires that came in 2gb Ram but most of them were 1gb ram.

More about : manufacturers

Best solution

a c 235 U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 3:18:00 AM

its a marketing trick, the 5850 can't effectively use that much ram.

benchmarks of the 5850 2GB and 1GB. most games they are even or a 1-3 FPS difference.

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850...
July 4, 2010 4:19:02 AM

So if they use double the RAM than the OEM card then it really doesn't make much difference but the the size of the hole in your pockets? Thanks :) 
Score
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 5:27:05 AM

The 5850 can use that much ram, but you'd need to be using 3 full HD monitors on eyefinity to even come close.

For gaming, as ct1615 stated, the difference isn't worth the money.
Score
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 5:51:14 AM

pepperman said:
The 5850 can use that much ram, but you'd need to be using 3 full HD monitors on eyefinity to even come close.

that's completely incorrect. the core clock and interface is too slow to use that full amount of RAM in gaming, eyefinity, or any other Software. too many noobs on these boards making idiotic statements that more memory equals better performance. its no different then have a PC with a slow dual core CPU and 6GB of RAM. it will perform just as fast with 3GB of ram.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 6:08:48 AM

ct1615 said:
that's completely incorrect. the core clock and interface is too slow to use that full amount of RAM in gaming, eyefinity, or any other Software. too many noobs on these boards making idiotic statements that more memory equals better performance. its no different then have a PC with a slow dual core CPU and 6GB of RAM. it will perform just as fast with 3GB of ram.

You couldn't be more wrong (or discourteous); if it couldn't use more ram, you would see 0 performance gain from games; when looking at any benchmark, however, we do see slight performance gains as we approach higher resolutions (as seen here http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_hd5850...). This shows that the interface can indeed take advantage of more than 1GB of ram (how much more can't be said without testing custom cards, buts that's off topic). Using this knowledge, we can deduce that the card would benefit over a standard 1 GB card for eyefinity (whether its worth it or not is up to the buyer, but slight gain is still gain).

As for you're analogy to a slow CPU with lots of ram, you must have never worked with a server or workstation; I've seen 700 MHz p3s max out 2 GB of ram without a sweat and you're telling me that a modern slow CPU (which would run circles around our old p3s) will only take advantage of 3 out of 6 GB of ram? What an idiotic statement...
Score
July 4, 2010 7:27:33 AM

While we're on the subject of different manufacturers...It's been about 5 years since I built my last computer and I haven't been keeping up much with things lately, so maybe I've missed something, but does ATI still manufacture their video cards at all? I've been trying to get my hands on a 5850 for a new build and I can't find any ATI branded 5850s. Everything is third party using ATI chipset. I've searched all over the web and the closest thing I can find to an answer is that the supply is low. When you search the website, Newegg doesn't even mark ATI branded cards as an option, let alone mark them as out of stock. What gives? Last two cards I got were 9800pro and X1600 retail cards and they were ATI branded, so I know they manufactured their own retail cards at least at one time. What gives? :??: 
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 7:04:58 PM

ATI pretty much is "just" a chip supplier now.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 7:34:34 PM

Actually a cheap dual-core cpu will be able to use 6GB, when I used my E4500 to build a map in UDK there was a difference from just using Vista's speedboost.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 11:19:04 PM

Quote:
at 2560x1600 res
far cry 2 1FPS diff
crysis 1 FPS diff
darkest of days even
CoD even
warhammer 2FPS diff.....2FPS....2FPS...that's like HUGE!!
Batman 4FPS diff...omg...4FPS!!...THAT TOTALLY PROVES YOUR POINT!!!...
RE5 1FPS
L4D 3FPS

so not only did I prove you have no clue to what you are talking about but I also proved you are a liar! Not a single game tested showed more then 4FPS diff (you stated several had 10FPS!) but that actual increase was often 0-1 FPS! fact's don't lie but you do!

though I was mistaken; it was only an 8 FPS increase, seen in Batman 1280 x 1024).

The fact remains, however, that more RAM did increase performance, which counters what you stated. I do agree that the added cost isn't worth the card with more RAM, however.
Score
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 4, 2010 11:42:43 PM

pepperman said:
No I was mistaken; it was only an 8 FPS increase, seen in Batman 1280 x 1024).

The fact remains, however, that more RAM did increase performance, which counters what you stated. I do agree that the added cost isn't worth the card with more RAM, however.

....one game....at 1280x1024......174 to 166 FPS....5% increase.....totally proves your point....outside of every other test that proves it false as stated above.

this is me waving goodbye to you to go back into your mother's basement and keep playing WoW :hello: 
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 12:03:35 AM

Enough with the insults, I'm tired of deleting and editing so any more and I start banning. You have been warned.
Score
July 6, 2010 7:38:06 PM

So the main point is that is causes a slight performance increase that's minuscule and really doesn't justify the price difference? So it would be better to get a better card than it is to get a higher RAM version?
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 8:03:42 PM

iLiketoEat said:
So the main point is that is causes a slight performance increase that's minuscule and really doesn't justify the price difference? So it would be better to get a better card than it is to get a higher RAM version?

If you are running a single screen and you want to spend your money wisely get the 1Gb version ;)  , just like ct said, its a marketing trick unless you feel that an extra 1-3FPS is worth the difference.

Score
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 8:33:29 PM

Whether the GPU itself can actually handle the 2GB of VRAM is beside the point. The 2GB won't be needed unless you start running more extreme resolutions anyhow. Eyefinity with 3 x 1920x1080 monitors as an example. With a typical high res monitor the memory difference wouldn't matter anyhow.
Score
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 11:28:29 PM

iLiketoEat said:

Correct; considering there's an $80 premium for the 2GB version, you'd be better off getting either the 1GB version, or a better card (the 2GB version starts to creep into the 5870's price point).
Score
a c 235 U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 11:51:32 PM

jerreece said:
Eyefinity with 3 x 1920x1080 monitors as an example. With a typical high res monitor the memory difference wouldn't matter anyhow.

when you look at the benchmarks between the 58501GB and 2GB; the FPS gap from 1280x1024 (around 2-3FPS) actually closed as you moved up to 2560x1600 (1FPS to dead even). The added pixels at each increased resolution only closed the tiny gap to one of 1% (aka dead even). So at 3 x 1920x1080, the demands would lower the gap even more. Less then 1%. The 2GB on the 5850 is clearly wasted unless playing Crysis at 17FPS is worth the extra money over 16FPS.

or the other end of the spectrum with RE5 at 57FPS rather then 56FPS.

Score
July 7, 2010 12:51:53 AM

Best answer selected by iLiketoEat.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 7, 2010 1:27:09 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!