bmicd

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I've kinda let this slide for a while. I originally built my PC with a single one of these cards with no problems. A few months later, I decided to grab another one for SLI purposes. Ever since, I haven't had much luck.

It started with strange artifacts, like horizontal lines of orange/pink/whatever. Through searching people have said it could be a bridge issue. I originally couldn't solve it, but somehow through a stretch of time I managed to get the horizontal lines to disappear (definitely not a driver issue). It was then that I noticed SLI with these two cards just was not stable. After maybe a minute of playing, components such as my keyboard would flicker off then back on. Games would crash. Drivers would fail. Sometimes even BSODing would occur. NOTE: this is only while using SLI. I'd really like to know what the issue is.

Specs (relevant to the post):

EVGA 790i Ultra FTW motherboard
(x2) EVGA 9800GTX+ 512mb graphics cards
Intel q9400 2.66ghz Quad-Core CPU
(x2) G-Skill 2gb DDR3 RAM
Thermaltake 750W PSU

bmicd

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
@ Maziar, both cards work fine when used in single mode. I even tested the secondary PCI-E slot by running a single card off of that as well. All checks out. My latest video drivers are also installed.

@ megamanx00, the temperatures rarely go above 62 degrees.

Check for corrosion on the connectors and the cables if you are using non stock cables but check any way. Then do a load test with both cards installed but with out sli being enabled using any game or program that uses physx or gpu based computing to produce load on both gpus (you can select which one for single test).

bmicd

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
@ Maziar, I have a single bridge connector and a double-sided bridge connector. I have tried both with the same result. My motherboard was updated to the latest version (P10) about a month ago.

@nforce4max, How can I select which card to test the load on? I'm currently downloading 3dmark06. Is this the correct way to test it?

bmicd

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I can pretty safely conclude it's not a software issue. I'm leaning more toward the fault of the motherboard. I've had various issues with system freezing or BSoDing when overclocking either my CPU or RAM. What are your thoughts on this?

bmicd

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I'd like to add that even with my previous PSU I had the same issue. It was 700w and SLI-certified. It died several months ago and upgraded to my current one mid-December.

Well we all have some type of parts that we don't have good luck with but perhaps you look deeper into system and experiment to see ware the issue is. I suggest going back to default clocks and try sli then. If the system clunks up again then you got a hardware issue some ware. Do you got an old hdd that you can load windows on to just to try and rule out software being an issue?

bmicd

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2010
I'm going to look into the PSU being the answer first. What would be more symptoms of an underpowered PSU? What are ways to tell, mathematically preferred, that my PSU is compatible with everything in my system?

Well there isn't much that can be done testing wise so you may just have to live with your current issue to you are able to rule it out. Either you find another rig to test your cards or buy more parts you wont know the problem but you can sell your cards and get one single card that is on par with your two cards performacne wise but that wont be cheap especially out side the US unless you know ware to sell/shop.