Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dell XPS gen4 power supply dissasembly(trying to open it.

Last response: in Components
October 18, 2010 9:54:40 PM

Has anyone taken apart a dell gen4 power supplyto see if it can be repaired?I cant seem to get the plastic off of the sides of the power supply so I can take the top off.
October 18, 2010 10:41:25 PM

It's generally not recommended you repair a power supply. Usually it's cheaper and safer if you just purchase a new one.
Score
a c 83 ) Power supply
October 19, 2010 5:28:54 AM

If you can't take it apart, what makes you think you can repair it? Not to be rude, but your probably better off just buying a new one.
Score
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2010 6:54:50 AM

Just wanted to add . . . we don't recommend repairing power supplies. For one thing, improper handling of an open psu can kill you.
Score
October 19, 2010 7:10:33 AM

^+1 The remaining electro charge on the coil and capacitors to be technical that is.
Score
October 19, 2010 7:15:19 AM

Yes don't do it. Most technician I know for few clients do make variations to the PSU which are not certified thus pose danger. It is good to replace than repair.
Score
a b ) Power supply
October 19, 2010 1:55:52 PM

m thinking yur talking about a laptop power adapter. those a major pita to open.
as for computer power supplies, i refurbish them and repace parts in them and they usually work afterward and im not dead yt :p 
and i have no sort of electrical cert either
Score
October 19, 2010 10:26:20 PM

For the guy who says what makes me think I can repair it I work on amateur radio equiptment which is more complex than a power supply.The problem was finding out how the side plastic pieces come off the power supply itself so I can open the top of the supply.The plastic is so flimsy I didnt want to break it.I did figure it out tho and I did find replacement power supplys for the dell gen 4.
Score
a c 83 ) Power supply
October 20, 2010 12:10:32 AM

w2sl said:
For the guy who says what makes me think I can repair it I work on amateur radio equiptment which is more complex than a power supply.The problem was finding out how the side plastic pieces come off the power supply itself so I can open the top of the supply.The plastic is so flimsy I didnt want to break it.I did figure it out tho and I did find replacement power supplys for the dell gen 4.

Glad to hear your alright. Not everyone has experience working on things like that, and as mentioned there are parts inside of a PSU where if you're not careful your life is over. Glad to hear it worked out.

73, KE6YGQ

Edited to remove what wasn't working, don't ask.
Score
February 1, 2012 12:08:01 AM

You dont take off the plastic sides. Look inside the case and you'll see a green button. Push the button and pull the entire bottom assembly towards the back of the case. It wil then slide out. You have to remove all the cables to replace the power supply. Thats much harder than getting it off the case.

Good Luck
Score
a c 110 ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 2:26:24 AM

Steps to fixing dell xps gen 4 power supply
1: Go online to a website such as newegg.
This is where you will purchase your new power supply.
2: Take wallet out.
Assuming you have your credit card in there, this is where you will purchase your new power supply.
3: Take out credit card.
Make sure to make an account with newegg or whatever website you are ordering from.
4: Purchase new power supply.
Select a power supply by corsair, antec, xfx, and many other reputable brands. Stay away from raidmax, cooler master, and diablotek.
5: Wait a few days for your power supply to arrive.
You can spend your time watching tv, having fun etc.
6: Install power supply.
Once it has arrived, unbox it and take your old psu out and screw in the psu and hook everything back up.
7: You have now fixed your power supply.
You have now solved your problem.
Score
!