Possible Power Subbly / Mobo Failure

orkiei6

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010
I recently purchased a Corsair 850W ATX power supply. Installed it with my Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3 Mobo. Installed everything and turned on power. Worked for about 20 minutes before suddenly shutting down. Tried to reboot and fans, cpu light powered on for 1/2 second and then turned off though mobo power pilot light stayed on.

Removed all connections and tried the paperclip trick. Same happened to PSU, turned on for 1/2 second then OFF.

Reconnected everything and I let it sit for about an hour at which time everything came back on and worked for about 2 minutes before shutting down.

Any thoughts? Im assuming this is a PSU failure but im hoping it wasnt caused by me. Im pretty confident in all plug connections to my mobo/VGA/drives. Could also be a mobo issue? Could htis have anything to do with my SATA drives?

Also, while building I came to a question: My VGA card has 2 power connectors each with 6 pins. My power supply had two cables with 6 pins with an expandable 2 pins. I assumed i was to plug in just the 6 pin plugs and leave the 2 pin expandable plugs disconnected.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Eric

orkiei6

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2010

The paper clip caused it to turn on just long enough to cause its fan to rotate about 180 degrees. There was no load on the PSU at this time.

Strange how letting it rest for an hour or so allows it to reset. Must be a temperature issue?

TRENDING THREADS