Gpu heat over 60C idle?

Esuld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
I've been looking around and can't find any solution, thanks for your help.

I've been having this problem for quite a while now.
I have an 8800 GT OC'd by BFG.
This problem has been going on for quite a while now, not sure when it started, but i know it just suddenly started happening.
So, with my old case (when it started happening) this GPU was running at 74C idle, soo I stuck with playing the old half-life, non steam (witch actually lowered my gpu temp to 70C o_O)
I finally got a huge order and almost completely overhauled my computer, with the exception of the GPU, and APU (sound card).
This has lowered my gpu to 62C I opened my case and felt the card and yes, it was HOT, even with all 5 of my fans running. Any suggestions?
Planning on giving up, and buying a new gpu, but I want to see what you think of it first. (Mabye taking the metal cover, heatsink, and fan, and doing a huge cleaning session? Tut plzz)

Thanks all.

Still using a stock cooler for CPU? If yes, then buy an aftermarket cooler, it will much better than a stock one...

But before that, make sure all the components are free from dust and re-apply the thermal paste for cpu and gpu, if that's make no changes then buy a new cpu cooler...

What is your room temp?

acer0169

Distinguished
Because the 8800GT is an older card now, it probably needs a good clean and some new paste. Once a year(ish) I take my GPU's apart, give them a proper clean out and then reset the heatsink with some new paste.. the difference (on one of my old cards) was 14C after doing this!

A thin layer of dust on a heatsink can drop it's performance by 10%, and a thick layer of dust (like completely clogged) can drop the heatsinks performance by 75% (going from pre-cleaning / post-cleaning on my own CPU and GPUs).

Esuld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
Alright, cleaned the gpu out, same problem. I used a new paste and everything, I'm about to give up and break into my savings for a new card... well, uum, it seems that
it lowered my temp by 1 degree... :p