have just a small problem here......
recently when i try to connect to a server and a map tries to download, the
screen kind of like "flashes" quickly and it says "version mismatch" and it
wont connect....
the thing is, even if its a map i already have, lets say face just for
example, it still does it....
so why is this happening? how can i fix it?
i remember something said awhile back when i had the same problem about
deleting some kind of de. file somewhere and then it would redownload all ok
but i can remember where it is or even if its the right file....

help?

"DragonRider" <nowhere@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> have just a small problem here......
> recently when i try to connect to a server and a map tries to download,
the
> screen kind of like "flashes" quickly and it says "version mismatch" and
it
> wont connect....
> the thing is, even if its a map i already have, lets say face just for
> example, it still does it....
> so why is this happening? how can i fix it?
> i remember something said awhile back when i had the same problem about
> deleting some kind of de. file somewhere and then it would redownload all
ok
> but i can remember where it is or even if its the right file....
>
> help?

Delete the file de.u from the UT\System folder, assuming it is the mutator
that is causing the problem.

yes, i did that at first thinking that was the one.....i tried to run the
game again and the server still had that same map running, but the same
thing happened.....file version mismatch
also, as i look in the system folder now, the de.u file is still gone.....

">

DragonRider wrote:
> yes, i did that at first thinking that was the one.....i tried to run
> the game again and the server still had that same map running, but
> the same thing happened.....file version mismatch
> also, as i look in the system folder now, the de.u file is still
> gone.....

I hope my English is good enough to understand! I had same problems.
Problem is that you have an other version of this map or of this texture.
Example:

You played on server A which sent you this map.
Afterwards you play on server B which has a map with same name but
different version! And this causes this version mismatch.

Try to take a look at unrealtournament.log, there is written down which
file causes this error.

At least in my case this was the problem.

HTH

Kind regards

Danny

> yes, i did that at first thinking that was the one.....i tried to run the
> game again and the server still had that same map running, but the same
> thing happened.....file version mismatch
> also, as i look in the system folder now, the de.u file is still gone.....

Are you playing user-made maps? This can be a problem if there are different
maps (or different versions of the same map) being distributed with the same
name -- especially with regard to Face, which has a million custom versions.
To get around this, look in the UT\Cache folder for a text file (cache.ini)
and open it. It will list the filehash and filename of each file in the
folder. Look for the name of the map you are trying to play, and delete the
corresponding file from your folder. Also delete the line from the text file
just to be safe.

Or, if you don't have too much stuff in there, just delete everything in
that folder.

Flash

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001

DragonRider wrote:
> yes, i did that at first thinking that was the one.....i tried to run the
> game again and the server still had that same map running, but the same
> thing happened.....file version mismatch
> also, as i look in the system folder now, the de.u file is still gone.....

Then, if it is the DE mod that's causing the mismatch, it'll be the one
in your cache.

Rename \UnrealTournament\Cache to something else and restart UT (it'll
recreate it automatically) and be prepared to download all the stuff you
did before.

Alternatively, get "UT Cache Cleaner" (Windows) and move a bunch of
stuff out of your cache (expires after 30 days by default anyway)

OR, Just delete the "de.u" entry in your cache.ini file.

--
Flash