Best color printer (photo printer) for a reasonable price

Last response: in Digital Camera
a b α HP
December 27, 2004 6:17:11 PM

I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of digital
photos.

What is a good choice (when also looking at price/performance)? I have an
old HP inkjet printer and an old laserjet. The laserjet (B/W) makes terribel
photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is to old. I imagine
that you get better prints from consumer printers nowadays.

Regards, Lars.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 27, 2004 6:17:12 PM

Lars Bonnesen wrote:
> I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of
> digital photos.
>
> What is a good choice (when also looking at price/performance)? I
> have an old HP inkjet printer and an old laserjet. The laserjet (B/W)
> makes terribel photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is
> to old. I imagine that you get better prints from consumer printers
> nowadays.

Epson R200 or R300 is a good compromise. R800 is even better.

David
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 27, 2004 6:17:12 PM

There is NO best. Depending on your needs there are many good photo printers
on the market. Do you want ink jet or dye sub. Will you print only 4x6,
8x10 or 24 x 36.
What is reasonable? $100.00 or $500.00.
Look at http://www.imaging-resource.com/ or other sources for reviews.
Related resources
December 27, 2004 6:17:12 PM

Hi Lars,

I recently bought a Epson R800 and it is fabulous! A friend also has
the Epson R320 which also prints great photos. I decided on the R800
though for the archival qualities as I am an autograph collector and I
wanted to print photos that will last. Since I never print anything
over 8 1/2 x 11 the R800 was perfect for me. It cost $399 but I got a
$75 giftcard rebate on it so it wasn't a bad price.

a b α HP
December 27, 2004 7:23:18 PM

"Arthur Small" <asmall1@nycap.rr.com> wrote in message
> There is NO best. Depending on your needs there are many good photo
> printers on the market. Do you want ink jet or dye sub.

To be honest, I actually don't know the difference, allthough I do work
with computers. What I would do, preferably, is to print on ordinary A4
paper and to get resonable prints.

I don't do hardcopy very much. I prefer to have the pictures electronically,
but from time to time, I is a good thing to do a hard copy.

My HP printer has run out on color ink, and I am thinking that I won't
change the cartridge. I will rather get a new printer. The printer shall
then take over where the the HP color printer did the job.

> Will you print only 4x6, 8x10 or 24 x 36.

A4 - A5

A3 would be nice, but will probably raise the price a lot?

> What is reasonable? $100.00 or $500.00.

Well, I am living in Denmark, so it is hard to currency conversion because
of difference in VAT and so on. But max $300 is probably what I originally
inteded to pay. The range Epson R300-R800 is ok.

But I am not only thinking on the price on the hardware as the only thing -
I am more thinking on TCO.

> Look at http://www.imaging-resource.com/ or other sources for reviews.

I will. Thanks to both of you.

Regards, Lars.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 27, 2004 8:07:42 PM

HP makes a great printer. And the new ones are rated to last 113+ years.
That should be enough for you. If you get a Photosmart printer you should
be fine with the 6 color process. You can get a 8450 with 8 color process
for around $250 or so at Best Buy.
They aren't number 1 for no reason at all you know.

Steve

"Lars Bonnesen" <noone@none.invalid> wrote in message
>I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of digital
>photos.
>
> What is a good choice (when also looking at price/performance)? I have an
> old HP inkjet printer and an old laserjet. The laserjet (B/W) makes
> terribel photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is to old. I
> imagine that you get better prints from consumer printers nowadays.
>
> Regards, Lars.

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 27, 2004 8:49:17 PM

Canon IP4000 is the clear winner. PC Mag editors choice. And it is the
best value.

Lars Bonnesen wrote:

>I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of digital
>photos.
>
>What is a good choice (when also looking at price/performance)? I have an
>old HP inkjet printer and an old laserjet. The laserjet (B/W) makes terribel
>photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is to old. I imagine
>that you get better prints from consumer printers nowadays.
>
>Regards, Lars.

Anonymous
a b α HP
December 27, 2004 9:50:09 PM

If (like most people I know) you are content with 4 x 6 in (10 x 15 cm)
prints, you cannot beat store-made prints. they are at least 60% cheaper,
much less fuss and bother, and, unless you are an expert, also much better
quality.
on the comparatively rare occasions when you need a bigger format (such as
A4 or letter size), or when you have special demands as to picture
manipulation, it's wiser to enlist the help of a friend who does this more
often (of course, offer to pay for paper and ink!).

On the other hand, if you have a secret yearning to fool around with
printing techniques - the sky is the limit ...

"Lars Bonnesen" <noone@none.invalid> wrote in message
>I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of digital
>photos.
>
> What is a good choice (when also looking at price/performance)? I have an
> old HP inkjet printer and an old laserjet. The laserjet (B/W) makes
> terribel photo hard copies (but really good B/W), and the HP is to old. I
> imagine that you get better prints from consumer printers nowadays.
>
> Regards, Lars.

December 28, 2004 12:55:14 AM

"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:xWXzd.3044$5R.1885@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Canon IP4000 is the clear winner. PC Mag editors choice. And it is the
> best value.

Since I bought the Canon PIXMA iP6000D last week I will have to disagree with you and my
claim is that the Canon PIXMA iP6000D is vastly superior to the Canon IP4000 and any other
printer on the market today.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 28, 2004 2:19:53 AM

Ken wrote:

> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:xWXzd.3044$5R.1885@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
>
>>Canon IP4000 is the clear winner. PC Mag editors choice. And it is the
>>best value.
>

> Since I bought the Canon PIXMA iP6000D last week I will have to disagree with you and my
> claim is that the Canon PIXMA iP6000D is vastly superior to the Canon IP4000 and any other
> printer on the market today.

I don't know if others (HP, Epson, et al) are doing this yet (I would
assume not because they never seem to advertise it), but Canon's
ThinkTank system has a tremendous advantage in TCO, by allowing you to
replace individual color tanks as each runs low, instead of having to
replace one cartridge with all the colors when just one color runs low.
In a 6- or 8-color system, this can add up significantly.
December 28, 2004 3:06:03 AM

"Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message news:tM0Ad.597112$nl.395019@pd7tw3no...
> Ken wrote:
>
> > "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:xWXzd.3044$5R.1885@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> >
> >>Canon IP4000 is the clear winner. PC Mag editors choice. And it is the
> >>best value.
> >

> > Since I bought the Canon PIXMA iP6000D last week I will have to disagree with you and my
> > claim is that the Canon PIXMA iP6000D is vastly superior to the Canon IP4000 and any other
> > printer on the market today.
>
> I don't know if others (HP, Epson, et al) are doing this yet (I would
> assume not because they never seem to advertise it), but Canon's
> ThinkTank system has a tremendous advantage in TCO, by allowing you to
> replace individual color tanks as each runs low, instead of having to
> replace one cartridge with all the colors when just one color runs low.
> In a 6- or 8-color system, this can add up significantly.

That was a major consideration when I purchased the Canon. I read a review
on the i900d at - http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/i900d.html
where he shows a cost analysis based on printing 100 4x6 photos. Works out
to about $0.25 per photo in ink costs. Add an additional $0.18 ea. for bulk
packs of Canon 4x6 photo paper and it is still a bit pricey compared to the
costs at someplace like Wal-Mart but the convince factor offsets the extra
costs as far as I am concerned.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 28, 2004 5:39:55 AM

I too am shopping around for an economical but good color printer to
replace my H-P in the future. I like the idea of replacing of individual
print cartridges that the Canon offers and the relatively low prices of
the printers themselves. My only reservation is the print head life and
cost of replacing it. I have not been able to find either.

Ken Miller
"Ken" <ken@ken.ken> wrote in message

> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message
>> Ken wrote:
>>
>> > "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> > Since I bought the Canon PIXMA iP6000D last week I will have to
>> > disagree with you and my
>> > claim is that the Canon PIXMA iP6000D is vastly superior to the
>> > Canon IP4000 and any other
>> > printer on the market today.
>>
>> I don't know if others (HP, Epson, et al) are doing this yet (I would
>> assume not because they never seem to advertise it), but Canon's
>> ThinkTank system has a tremendous advantage in TCO, by allowing you
>> replace individual color tanks as each runs low, instead of having to
>> replace one cartridge with all the colors when just one color runs
>> low.
>> In a 6- or 8-color system, this can add up significantly.
>
> That was a major consideration when I purchased the Canon. I read a
> review
> on the i900d at -
> http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/i900d.html
> where he shows a cost analysis based on printing 100 4x6 photos. Works
> out
> to about $0.25 per photo in ink costs. Add an additional $0.18 ea. for
> bulk
> packs of Canon 4x6 photo paper and it is still a bit pricey compared
> to the
> costs at someplace like Wal-Mart but the convince factor offsets the
> extra
> costs as far as I am concerned.

December 28, 2004 6:21:22 AM

"Kenneth Miller" <kenm1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:%H3Ad.1175628$Gx4.680796@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> I too am shopping around for an economical but good color printer to
> replace my H-P in the future. I like the idea of replacing of individual
> print cartridges that the Canon offers and the relatively low prices of
> the printers themselves. My only reservation is the print head life and
> cost of replacing it. I have not been able to find either.

Somewhere in my internet travels I read where a replacement head cost around $45 US
but don't quote me on it. Don't recall exactly where I saw it but it may have been a
consumer review warning of not using non-Canon replacement ink cartridges and the
price you might have to pay to replace the head if it clogs.
December 28, 2004 7:50:10 AM

I own a 6 color Canon s820. It is cheaper to replace each color. However
when you have to replace all six colors at the same time, its VERY expensive
at $12 a cartridge, plus tax.

Personally there is very little difference between a photo printed with 6
colors and the newer 4 color printers.

I've decided for myself that I'm no longer going to buy printers over $150,
as it isn't worth it. They all break at some point (clogged heads etc). And
then your out all that money. The last printer I paid $300 for, it did last
2 years, but the print head died and is just too expensive to replace.

The Canon printers that use the BCI-6 ink tanks in my opinion are the best
bargains. You don't need the latest and greatest, they are overpriced.
Canons cartridges don't use chips like the Epsons do, and are clear so you
can see how much ink is actually left, and if you use refills, you can see
to fill them much easier since they are clear.

"Kenneth Miller" <kenm1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I too am shopping around for an economical but good color printer to
>replace my H-P in the future. I like the idea of replacing of individual
>print cartridges that the Canon offers and the relatively low prices of the
>printers themselves. My only reservation is the print head life and cost of
>replacing it. I have not been able to find either.
>
> Ken Miller
> "Ken" <ken@ken.ken> wrote in message
>>
>> "Matt Ion" <soundy@moltenimage.com> wrote in message

>>> I don't know if others (HP, Epson, et al) are doing this yet (I would
>>> assume not because they never seem to advertise it), but Canon's
>>> ThinkTank system has a tremendous advantage in TCO, by allowing you to
>>> replace individual color tanks as each runs low, instead of having to
>>> replace one cartridge with all the colors when just one color runs low.
>>> In a 6- or 8-color system, this can add up significantly.
>>
>> That was a major consideration when I purchased the Canon. I read a
>> review
>> on the i900d at - http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/i900d.html
>> where he shows a cost analysis based on printing 100 4x6 photos. Works
>> out
>> to about $0.25 per photo in ink costs. Add an additional $0.18 ea. for
>> bulk
>> packs of Canon 4x6 photo paper and it is still a bit pricey compared to
>> the
>> costs at someplace like Wal-Mart but the convince factor offsets the
>> extra
>> costs as far as I am concerned.

December 28, 2004 7:50:11 AM

Tim wrote:
> I've decided for myself that I'm no longer going to buy printers over $150,
> as it isn't worth it. They all break at some point (clogged heads etc). And
> then your out all that money. The last printer I paid $300 for, it did last
> 2 years, but the print head died and is just too expensive to replace.
>
> The Canon printers that use the BCI-6 ink tanks in my opinion are the best
> bargains. You don't need the latest and greatest, they are overpriced.
> Canons cartridges don't use chips like the Epsons do, and are clear so you
> can see how much ink is actually left, and if you use refills, you can see
> to fill them much easier since they are clear.

Our little ancient Cannon bubblejet200 (b&W) still prints just fine
never a hitch for probably 10 years I'm not sure.
December 28, 2004 7:51:43 AM

> "Kenneth Miller" <kenm1@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>> I too am shopping around for an economical but good color printer to
>> replace my H-P in the future. I like the idea of replacing of individual
>> print cartridges that the Canon offers and the relatively low prices of
>> the printers themselves. My only reservation is the print head life and
>> cost of replacing it. I have not been able to find either.
>
> Somewhere in my internet travels I read where a replacement head cost
> around $45 US
> but don't quote me on it. Don't recall exactly where I saw it but it may
> have been a
> consumer review warning of not using non-Canon replacement ink cartridges
> and the
> price you might have to pay to replace the head if it clogs.

The replacement head for my Canon s820 still sells around $75. Enough that
you can buy a brand new printer that comes with ink.
December 28, 2004 8:18:05 AM

"paul" <paul@not.net> wrote in message news:wIWdnYsKpvQYdE3cRVn-ow@speakeasy.net...

> Our little ancient Cannon bubblejet200 (b&W) still prints just fine
> never a hitch for probably 10 years I'm not sure.

We have one of those hooked up to a piece of test equipment at work. It prints about
10 pages a day, 360 days a year for probably the last 10 years of so. Darn thing just
won't die. In fact, we have replaced the $25k test equipment it is attached to twice
in that time.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 28, 2004 1:52:42 PM

Matt Ion wrote:
[]
> I don't know if others (HP, Epson, et al) are doing this yet (I would
> assume not because they never seem to advertise it), but Canon's
> ThinkTank system has a tremendous advantage in TCO, by allowing you to
> replace individual color tanks as each runs low, instead of having to
> replace one cartridge with all the colors when just one color runs
> low. In a 6- or 8-color system, this can add up significantly.

Yes, that is the case in the Epson R200 and R300, and most likely other
printers as well. You can replace individual colours.

David
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 28, 2004 6:17:14 PM

"Lars Bonnesen" <noone@none.invalid> wrote in message
>I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of digital
>photos.

I now have narrowed my search to:

Epson R300
or
Canon PIXMA iP5000

The Epson uses does 3 pico (5760x1440 dpi), the Canon does 1 pico (9600x2400
dpi). Does this automatically imply that Canon does best photoprint? I don't
care about text mode prints, I have a printer for this purpose.

Does Epson use seperate ink-cartridge and printing heads?

Speed isn't an issue.

What is most costeffective when looking af ink-usage?

The Canon is about 50% more expensive to bye than the Epson.

I like that both of them are able to print on CD's.

I don't need RAM-reader, allthough it is nice to have.

Should I go for Epson or Canon?

Regards, Lars.
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 28, 2004 6:17:15 PM

Lars Bonnesen wrote:
[]
> I now have narrowed my search to:
>
> Epson R300
> or
> Canon PIXMA iP5000
[]
> Does Epson use seperate ink-cartridge and printing heads?

I don't think so (I just have the six ink cartridges, nothing else).

[]
> The Canon is about 50% more expensive to bye than the Epson.
[]
> I don't need RAM-reader, allthough it is nice to have.

You could go the the Epson R200 which does not have the card reader, and
would be even cheaper than the Canon. In a recent test in the UK's PC Pro
magazine,:

- the winner: Epson Stylus Photo R800
- recommended: HP 8150, Canon iP4000R
- best value: Canon iP3000

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/124/inkjet-printers/product...

Worth reading.

Cheers,
David
Anonymous
a b α HP
December 28, 2004 8:34:02 PM

David J Taylor wrote:

> Lars Bonnesen wrote:
> []
>
>>I now have narrowed my search to:
>>
>>Epson R300
>>or
>>Canon PIXMA iP5000
>

> You could go the the Epson R200 which does not have the card reader, and
> would be even cheaper than the Canon. In a recent test in the UK's PC Pro
> magazine,:
>
> - the winner: Epson Stylus Photo R800
> - recommended: HP 8150, Canon iP4000R
> - best value: Canon iP3000
>
> http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/124/inkjet-printers/product...

The R800 uses pigmented inks and the R300 uses dye inks, so there's a
major diff. between those two Epsons.

You might want to vet this in comp.periphs.printers for some additional
views.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

Canon also makes the IP4000, a 2 picoliter version of the IP5000 for
around $120.00 on sale. PC magazine tested both printers. Their bottom
line is that the IP5000 does somewhat better on text but for some reason
the IP4000 produced somewhat better photos.

No mention was made as to weather the smaller droplet size of the IP5000
is more prone to clogging. I do not know. But for some reason Canon
choose a 2 picoliter droplet size in their narrow carriage flagship
printer the IP8500.

Lars Bonnesen wrote:

>"Lars Bonnesen" <noone@none.invalid> wrote in message
>

>>I am looking for a printer, that can be used to do hard copies of digital
>>photos.
>>

>I now have narrowed my search to:
>
>Epson R300
>or
>Canon PIXMA iP5000
>
>The Epson uses does 3 pico (5760x1440 dpi), the Canon does 1 pico (9600x2400
>dpi). Does this automatically imply that Canon does best photoprint? I don't
>care about text mode prints, I have a printer for this purpose.
>
>Does Epson use seperate ink-cartridge and printing heads?
>
>Speed isn't an issue.
>
>What is most costeffective when looking af ink-usage?
>
>The Canon is about 50% more expensive to bye than the Epson.
>
>I like that both of them are able to print on CD's.
>
>I don't need RAM-reader, allthough it is nice to have.
>
>Should I go for Epson or Canon?
>
>Regards, Lars.

Anonymous
a b α HP
January 2, 2005 3:06:57 AM

"John McWilliams" <jpmcw@comcast.net> wrote in message
> David J Taylor wrote:
>
> You might want to vet this in comp.periphs.printers for some additional
> views.

I think I am going for the Canon iP5000.

Thank you for your views...

Regards, Lars.
!