Mutt x

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Ladies and Gents I would like your input on price/performance value in a motherboard. I tend to keep a computer a long time (use it for 3-5 years then pass it down to the kids for another 3-5 plus years)
It seems for a $10 difference having a z68 is worth it over a P67. Mainly, if the GPU goes bad and Quick sync for some home movies. However, if the P67s would drop $40 I think that would suit me.

Here are my priorities: stability and longevity, then video port (using i5 igp), then SLI/CF at 8x8x (no need for more lanes or more slots--this is for future performance boost), then OC

Here is what I have looked at (in some order of preference). All z68 boards
1. Asrock Extreme 4 (new brand to me)
2. Asus Pro (but hear lots of problems/bugs)
3. Gigabyte UD3H (best looking but no video port?)
5. MSI z68MA-ED55 (haven't seen any reviews)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

Solution

Yeckerz

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
I'd go with the Gigabyte for the cheaper $$ looks good
or
AsRock for the more money

why .. simply put MSI don't like it and its a micro board. asus is asrock sister company or w.e so go with the better looking on of the 2 .

AsRock more features but if u don't need them get the cheaper Gigabtye one saves you 50$

developeraslam

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

i are looking motherboard for your intel i5 2500K ( overclock version ) that means you will surely be overclocking

THEN

you should go for asus p8z68-v or p8z68-v pro but don't even think to go for gigabyte GAZ68-UD3H ( HAVING onboard graphics) as gigabyte ud3h is having only 7 phase VRM it means if you will overclock your processor then you might end up with burning motherboard ( i think you will not like that ), so it's better to go for asus p8z68-v are extra $40.00 but you will get 16 phase VRM that means very solid performance for overclocking for VERY LONG TIME. and gigabyte has removed heat 1 heat sink means more hot motherboard where as in asus you will get 2 very efficient heat sink means cooooooler motherboard........

:)

so i think choice is very clear.............

if you want to overclock don't go for gigabyte ud3h MB. and let me know that HDMI performance in gigabyte has been reduced to 2 channels only but in asus it 7 channel HDMI...

Solution
Another vote for the Asus P8Z68-V. The reasons for Z68 have been clarified by OP himself. Add to that the Asus quality and you have a product worthy of the extra dough. As for problems with their P67 boards, it is all a chipset issue as many other board manufacturers faced it. No fault of Asus there.

I personally wouldn’t get a Z68 board without support for IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor). There are really two things that the Z68 has over the P67 boards and that is Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology) and support for the IGP. All of the manufacturers are seen as good brands today so in the end it comes down to price and features that you are looking for.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Mutt x

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks for the thoughts. I haven't thought much about the power features in terms of overclocking. And I thought all these were able to use the i5 GPU. That is a feature worth having given quick sync and the benefits of having a back up GPU if the add in card has problems.

Are the rumors of the Asus Pro MB having an unusally high set of problems just rumors?

The problems do exist but like I said before, that is all (or was all) a chipset issue. Even other manufacturers had problems with their respective boards.

Mutt x

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
After our discussion and a little prayer MicroCener emailed me a $25 off any intel MB coupon. Thanks to your input I went with the Asus Pro and still came out cheaper than either the ASRock or GB board. Soon I will be posting on how to set this rig up!

Adios!