Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Stutter/freeze with any AA

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2010 6:05:08 AM

I have a Radeon HD 3850. Enabling AA on any game, any amount, and at random frequences the card will stop responding, sending the game into a stutter freeze. this will go on for about 30 seconds, the card will reset and sometimes the game will be restored, sometimes not. I know it is AA because I have had AA off for months after experiencing this. i turned it on again today and it has been happening all day. Any other setting, it doesn't matter. Just AA.

I have upgraded drivers, updated my BIOS, switched from full screen to windowed, checked for overheating - i just don't know. I am totally lost for solutions and don't know where to even look anymore.

More about : stutter freeze

July 4, 2010 8:12:50 AM

Open Catalyst control center and go to "3D" section,choose "AA" tab and make sure "Use application settings" is checked.
Also does it give you any errors when it freezes ?
m
l
July 4, 2010 12:42:23 PM

^+1
m
l
Related resources
July 7, 2010 7:29:44 PM

Maziar said:
Open Catalyst control center and go to "3D" section,choose "AA" tab and make sure "Use application settings" is checked.

I have always had it set to use application settings. In fact, I don't let CCC control any of those settings.

Quote:
Also does it give you any errors when it freezes ?

Well, when I have error reporting on in CCC, it asks me to send a report to ATI, but then it wants to send it with outlook instead of via the error reporting app (lol).

All I know is that if AA is on in any way, the card will stop responding and take about a minute to reset.

Even recently, I don't even have to be playing a game or doing anything GPU intensive. Four times this week the card stopped responding while browsing the internet. Is my card dying now?
m
l
July 7, 2010 8:50:57 PM

What's your PSU ? can you test with a different one ?
m
l
July 8, 2010 3:22:20 AM

i have taken a video of what happens to my card.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jmEj8rNRNU

@ 23 seconds is when it begins. @ 34 seconds the screen goes black (the video did not reflect this). @ 39 seconds the ATI error message would come up about the card not responding and had been reset. sometimes the game would start up again, sometimes stay black.
m
l
July 8, 2010 3:30:07 PM

even for just 1 video card? or in general?

also, i was monitoring temps last night while playing a game to see how hot the card really gets during AA gameplay. the card hit 112C and 110C twice before locking up. i am guessing this is could be a heat issue as well - i don't think the GPU should be running that hot? i have never gotten an aftermarket cooler for my video card before. any recommendations?
m
l
July 8, 2010 5:12:53 PM

oops,sorry i was going to post that in another thread.Deleted it
Back to your question,well i did a search and it seems that maximum temp for a 3850under load is 90c(without an after market cooler), anything more than that isn't acceptable.Your temps are quite high so they maybe causing the problem.
m
l
July 8, 2010 6:00:15 PM

i don't know much about VGA cooling. any recommendations or guides?
m
l
July 8, 2010 6:18:59 PM

I don't think that's going to help much because like i said,it even go over 90c(even with a stock cooler), what is your room temperature and do you have a good airflow in your case?
m
l
July 8, 2010 10:58:28 PM

room temp is usually 23C/24C, airflow is decent... why would getting an aftermarket cooler for my card not help?
m
l

Best solution

July 9, 2010 6:59:43 AM

It may help but your card shouldn't even reach those temps with a stock cooler, but as for a good aftermarket cooler, AKASA Vortexx NEO would be a good option
Here is a reviwe of it
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Akasa/Vortexx/5.html
July 9, 2010 7:59:28 AM

thank you for all your help
m
l
July 9, 2010 7:59:34 AM

Best answer selected by rtil.
m
l
July 9, 2010 8:21:55 AM

No problem,I hope it will help your card run cooler