Closed Solved

Least Expensive Raid Card for 3 SSDs

I've spent several hours trying to determine the different price points when it comes to RAID cards. About a month ago I built my first computer and the people on this forum was great to help me sort through some issues I was having. Anyhow, I have an i7-875k which I've managed to get runnning at a little over 4 Ghz, a P55-GD65 mobo, 3 Corsair V64 SSDs, and 4 TB Seagate 7200.12 HDDs.

I primarily do a lot of database work and video editing and intended to use the SSDs in RAID 0 for all my applications and the HDDs for all my data (a 1TB array would be large enough). The problem is that I have 7 SATA ports on the mobo, but one is on a seperate controller so I recently figured out that I have an extra drive. Now I think I'm faced with three options:

1. RAID each of the three set of drives together and keep the other HDD to periodically backup everything. (Routine backups are made to a WD exteral 1.5 TB.)
2. Buy another RAID card and build the two RAID arrays using all 7 drives. (I'd like to keep it under $100.)
3. Take the extra drive back to the store.

I just learned of RAID capabilities a few months ago and I'm pretty curious. I think if I end up buying a seperate card, I'll start buying extra drives to fill the slots for the heck of it.

Thanks in advance!0
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about least expensive raid card ssds
  1. Your motherboard BIOS should have a RAID option. If you get one SSD, keep to at AHCI, if you get multiple, RAID it according to the ratings:0,1,2,5..etc...
  2. Best answer
    just take back one of the hdd's

you wont get a quality raid card for under 100$ as far as I know.
  3. ^ Correct. You will need at least $100+ for a decent RAID card with 4x SATA ports.
  4. Cheaper ones are just not worth it. Some have a maximum slow than a single SSD.
    I wanted to Raid 2xBarracuda 7200.12s. Turned out My raid card had a limit lower than one of my non-SSD drives.
  5. rand_79 said:
    just take back one of the hdd's

you wont get a quality raid card for under 100$ as far as I know.

I actually tried the RocketRaid 640 ($160). It worked, but it added 30 seconds to my boot time and disabled my Jmicron sata whatever you call it.
  6. Best answer selected by davefupm.
  7. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID SSD Components Product