Sign in with
Your question

How to convert raw to ntfs windows 7

Last response: in Storage
November 4, 2012 7:44:01 AM

Hello,

I have partitioned my external hard drive. One partition works fine, one isn't accessible any longer - I have had it for over two years and it has always worked until now.

Disk management does identify it and shows that the format has changed into RAW. I am using Windows 7 and it is prompting me to format it. I tried changing the letter assigned to the drive bu that didnt make any difference. I have tried various things and received numerous error messages such as "path does not exist" or "cyclic error" etc. Windows wants me to format the disk before using it.

I have downloaded Recuva but when I select the drive it says "path does not exist".

Disk Management shows the drive as "healthy" and I have run various antivirus checks and everything seems fine. Windows Recovery did do its job - took over 2 hours - and I selected "attempt to find and fix bad sectors" - it completed its job but hasnt made any difference.

Please can you help me? I am trying to convert the drive back into NTFS so that Windows 7 can access it. Thanks in advance
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
November 4, 2012 8:00:42 AM

There is nothing to covert as there is no file system. You can't convert file systems anyway. You need to format it.

If you had Data on it you need testdisk is free and may work. Easeus also has some good file recovery programs.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 4, 2012 8:05:41 AM

So you wiped the Hd, created a primary logical drive C:
Then you set an extended partition from the C: drive so you got C: D:
or should of anyway.
Did you format the Extended partition with the windows boot dvd ?
m
l
November 13, 2012 3:07:13 AM

Thank you to all for your replies. I was not even aware that my post was successful.

FOUR4MAGICPARTS - I used Recuva to restore the data - I saved it on my desktop. I then formatted the partition that wasnt working - this put it back into NTFS and then I copy/pasted the recovered data back on it. Voila! Worked like a charm thanks.

Appreciate all your suggestions.

Case closed.
m
l
!