How to convert raw to ntfs windows 7

okabbani

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hello,

I have partitioned my external hard drive. One partition works fine, one isn't accessible any longer - I have had it for over two years and it has always worked until now.

Disk management does identify it and shows that the format has changed into RAW. I am using Windows 7 and it is prompting me to format it. I tried changing the letter assigned to the drive bu that didnt make any difference. I have tried various things and received numerous error messages such as "path does not exist" or "cyclic error" etc. Windows wants me to format the disk before using it.

I have downloaded Recuva but when I select the drive it says "path does not exist".

Disk Management shows the drive as "healthy" and I have run various antivirus checks and everything seems fine. Windows Recovery did do its job - took over 2 hours - and I selected "attempt to find and fix bad sectors" - it completed its job but hasnt made any difference.

Please can you help me? I am trying to convert the drive back into NTFS so that Windows 7 can access it. Thanks in advance

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
So you wiped the Hd, created a primary logical drive C:
Then you set an extended partition from the C: drive so you got C: D:
or should of anyway.
Did you format the Extended partition with the windows boot dvd ?

okabbani

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Thank you to all for your replies. I was not even aware that my post was successful.

FOUR4MAGICPARTS - I used Recuva to restore the data - I saved it on my desktop. I then formatted the partition that wasnt working - this put it back into NTFS and then I copy/pasted the recovered data back on it. Voila! Worked like a charm thanks.

Appreciate all your suggestions.

Case closed.