Sign in with
Your question

Applying CPU paste

Last response: in CPUs
October 19, 2010 12:57:49 AM

Hi

I have a question about applying CPU Paste. I've heard a lot of different opinions how to do that. So should I put it and spread it with finger (wrapped in plastic bag) or should I just let the pressure from the heatsink spread the compound on the CPU ?

More about : applying cpu paste

a c 105 à CPUs
October 19, 2010 1:00:22 AM

makes little difference, ive tried countless theories and bench marked them. temps where exactly the same each time. the main point is to use just enough, about the size of a cooked grain of rice. I either leave it in the middle of the CPU or make an "X" with two small lines on the CPU.
October 19, 2010 1:40:23 AM

lol dont touch the paste with your fingers. drop a dot on the cooler's surface and the let the pressure do the rest :)  oh and before you put the themal paste please make sure its really clean dirt reduces cooling efficiency. i've seen the difference
October 19, 2010 1:47:57 AM

I agree completely with ct1615. I would only add that it depends on the formula to some extent. Any good cpu paste (shipped with a cooler) will do a good job; the range between just sticking a dot of past and mashing the cooler on the processor, to lapping the cooler and processor and using a paste with powdered metal in it (the very best have it, but it is more dangerous, since the paste is electrically conductive, is only one degree at most.
!