OCZ agility 3 or vertex 4?

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012
Hi Im thinking about getting two SSD's and putt them into RAID 0 and I'm tossing up between the OCZ agility 3 120g or the vertex 4 128g. Is there a major difference in speed/reliability? also some recommendations could be nice. Also thinking about the agility 4 etc...
BTW my budget is fairly small.

tomatthe

Distinguished
Samsung 830 256g would be a better solution imo. Excellent drive and they are really cheap now as the 840 series is just coming out. Dealing with raid and ssd's just not worth the hassle and extra risk of losing data for performance that would only show up in benchmarks.

What do you do with your computer that requires a RAID array? Unless you are doing some sort of heavy duty professional work a RAID array is not necessary. Modern 3rd generation ssd's are pretty fast.

I recommend Samsung. Samsung has a stellar record for performance and reliability. Crucial is another brand worth considering.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. Here is the link:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands and models you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

Im planning on keeping most of my data on a network and constant backing up so it doesnt really matter if the SSD's fail. You said that the performance would only show up in benchmarks, does that mean i wouldn't experience any faster speeds with two SSD's in RAID 0? im guessing it would speed up my OS... Speed is what my main focus is.

Thanks
Tim

jebbo

Honorable
May 29, 2012

thanks for the reply, like i said in response to "tomatthe" im going to use drives on a network for the storage solution so my main goal is speed, and reliability isnt an issue. would there be a noticable speed with two SSD's in RAID 0 than a single standard SSD?

Thanks
Tim

tomatthe

Distinguished
Highly doubtful you would notice the speed difference in running them in a raid set vs a single drive. Your OS wouldn't feel any quicker, and apps/games wouldn't load at a noticeably quicker rate.

I wouldn't bother running a raid set unless it's for bragging rights, as it will serve little real performance benefit over a single drive.