Need help locating a part

agentbravojr

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
Hey guys

I recently moved my old slim-line computer into a more spacious case and upgraded the PSU, the problem is that my motherboard never came with the metal backing to it, so right now my case has a gaping hole that cannot be good for my computer. My motherboard came with the case, and when i looked for the metal backing, i couldnt find one and the only thing on my case was some sticky foam that separated the case from the motherboard. I have no idea what model my motherboard is, but it came from an Acer AX3300 U1322 if that helps.

In addition, my case has 2 fans that use a 3 pin connector that i can't find on my motherboard, I heard about connecting it directly to the power supply, but i have no idea what converters to buy and simply searching molex to 3 pin on newegg doesn't seem to work

thanks

Solution
I had a look around as well and I couldn't find the precise io shield. It used to be that shields had standardized types but not any more. Perhaps if you took a photo of the IO section and posted it here I could have a look around for a similar IO shield that might fit?

I suppose you could just make your own shield out of stiff card or some other material. It doesn't need to be a metal nor conductive as the motherboard is earthed through the PSU / Case via the standoffs.

With motherboard manufacturers you can usually call them up and they'll send you out a new shield for free or a small charge. However given this is a complete Acer build they may not have shields for this motherboard.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
By the metal backing do you mean the IO shield? If you download and run CPU-Z it will give you specific details about your system including the motherboard.

As for the fans you are looking for what you described; molex to 3 pin. There are a fair number of variants and the newegg search isn't very helpful for this phrase. Something like this would serve your needs.

agentbravojr

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
hmm well CPU-Z tells me i have an Acer WMCP78M, but i checked newegg, amazon, and ebay and i have received no results, is there another way to get the shield or will i have to leave the motherboard exposed?

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I had a look around as well and I couldn't find the precise io shield. It used to be that shields had standardized types but not any more. Perhaps if you took a photo of the IO section and posted it here I could have a look around for a similar IO shield that might fit?

I suppose you could just make your own shield out of stiff card or some other material. It doesn't need to be a metal nor conductive as the motherboard is earthed through the PSU / Case via the standoffs.

With motherboard manufacturers you can usually call them up and they'll send you out a new shield for free or a small charge. However given this is a complete Acer build they may not have shields for this motherboard.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS