Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Would these 3 parts fit together

Last response: in Systems
a c 159 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 10:35:42 AM

I'm finally replacing my old motherboard, cpu and ram to something new - But because I haven't checked the 'hardware space' for years I'm beyond rusty.

What I'm replacing ..
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI
CPU: AMD 64 3200+ (2 ghz single core)
RAM: 2GB SD Kingston Value RAM 400

What I'm replacing it with (here's where I need some input)
Motherboard: ASUS M4A87TD
CPU: Phenom II X4 955 AM3
RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x2 GB PC3-12800

If any of these parts wont fit together or run in slower speed, please do tell.
I have already replaced my PSU and GPU as they both died. I now have a Corsair 550VX and an XFX 5770.

Thanks!

More about : parts fit

a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 10:42:57 AM

Yep they are compatible
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 11:43:25 AM

batuchka said:
Yep they are compatible

Awesome. Also I checked out the motherboard but it doesn't say if it's using SLI or Crossfire. Can you use both these days or something?

Oh and it says sata 3 .. I only have a sata 2 harddrive, would that work together as well?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2010 12:20:03 PM

That mobo will not SLI and is not suitable for Crossfire.

As standard, an AMD mobo will never do SLI (you need specific mobos for that and there is limited choice as they have to use a special nvidia chip to allow SLI on an AMD board)

The reason why the board you picked is not suitable for Crossfire is because of the PCI E 2.0 lanes it has. Yes, there are two, however if you look at specifications it shows that one runs at x16, the other runs at x4. This means with one card it runs at x 16 speed which is the ideal for a GPU, however, once two cards are installed, they will only run as fast as the slowest lane - so both cards run at x4/x4 this causes a bottleneck on your cards and greatly restricts benefits of a two card setup.

So, in theory 2 cards can be used, however it is genrerally considered not worth it due to the x4 restriction. For a two card set up you do not want to run any slower than an x8/x8 configeration (while this is not as ideal as x16/x16, this is considered not an issue because only high end cards suffer from x8/x8 and even then it is very minor a performance hit)

SATA 3 is backward compatible, so a SATA 2 HDD will work fine
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 12:27:27 PM

Just to remind you :
550W is an overkill if you use it only for 1 HD5770 but not enough for 2 HD5970s.
1 HD5770 is enough with 450W.
So..choose your upgrade in the future wisely ...

You said if it runs slower...
You want an extra boost for your system? Get an SSD! Crucial C300 or OCZ Vertex 2 are among the best current SSDs.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 12:45:09 PM

guanyu210379 said:
Just to remind you :
550W is an overkill if you use it only for 1 HD5770 but not enough for 2 HD5970s.
1 HD5770 is enough with 450W.
So..choose your upgrade in the future wisely ...

You said if it runs slower...
You want an extra boost for your system? Get an SSD! Crucial C300 or OCZ Vertex 2 are among the best current SSDs.

Yep fully aware that 550 is overkill when using a good quality psu for my current rig, but both of my old gpu and psu died withing a month of each other and I was planning on an upgrade sooner or later anyway =)

Thank you all for your answers, I will also try and find a 8/8 motherboard as I'm planning to add another 5770 as well.
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 10, 2010 12:51:51 PM

Best answer selected by BounceDK.
m
l
!