terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
people I don't know. How do I stop that?
Thanks. Terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

What to do with spam
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/options.mspx

Help keep spam out of your inbox
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/email/fightspam.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Terry" wrote:

| I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
| people I don't know. How do I stop that?
| Thanks. Terry

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0520-0, 05/16/2005
Tested on: 5/16/2005 8:44:30 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

We use AT&T at work and some users get 500 unwanted emails a day. I use
Verizon DSL at home and I've never even received one unsolicited email. At
least for now, Verizon is doing a good job and AT&T is the worst.
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

"Terry" wrote:

> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
> people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Hi Terry,

Create filters to automatically delete it, or use "block senders". Once they
have your email address, most will ignore requests to remove it from their
lists.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Terry" <tredmunds(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Have you ever heard of spam? You are getting it. You can get a handle on it
with a program like MailWasher.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"Terry" <tredmunds(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

"Terry" <tredmunds(remove this)@optonline.net> wrote in message
>I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry

Might be easier for you to call your ISP too see if you can have more then
one email address, if so then set up a new email and delete the old one,
pass this new email to trusted friends only, if you want to use an email
address for subscriptions on the web or even for newsgroups try creating one
from Hotmail or Yahoo that way any junk or spam will be filtered out by MSN
and Yahoo.

Luck

Jim

Ted Zieglar wrote:
> All good recommendations, Bruce. With regard to 'previewing' mail, I
> understand that if I have an unopened message in my Inbox that I suspect
> is spam, if I look inside by checking the message's properties (from
> File > Properties > Details > Message Source), this will not trigger a
> read receipt or execute any code that may be in the message body. Is
> this correct?
>
> Ted Zieglar

Well, it certainly won't execute any code, and I doubt that it would
trigger a read-receipt, but I've not tested that - I never allow
read-receipts to be sent.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

only 30?? try 150 a day and you should start to worry.

Try Mailwasher. It's not a full featured mail reader, but does help to
filter out the spam from the real email using rules, and 'friends list" and
"blacklist".

www.mailwasher.net.

or try blocking the sender using the method specific to your mail reader.

There would be other spam blockers around - Norton have such a product.
Else search on Google.

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:42:40 +0800, Andrew Murray wrote:

> Try Mailwasher.

Until MW removes the abominable "fake bounce" feature as a user option, it
is a flawed product.

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

In message <OLj2QRoWFHA.2768@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl> Bruce Chambers
<bchambers@h0tmail.c0m> wrote:

>Terry wrote:
>> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>> people I don't know. How do I stop that?
>> Thanks. Terry
>>

> While it's not possible to completely eliminate spam (unsolicited
>commercial email), there are some precautions and steps you can take to
>minimize it's impact:
>
>1) Never, ever post your real email address to publicly accessible
>forums or newsgroups, such as this one. For years now, spammers have
>been using software utilities to scan such places to harvest email
>addresses. It's a simple matter to disguise your posted email address
>so that these software "bots" can't obtain anything useful. For
>example, insert some obviously bogus characters or words into your reply
>address, for example: "name@NOSPAMisp.com."

That is an extremely bad suggestion -- Unless you own NOSPAMisp.com, you
don't have authorization to use that domain.

If you want to obfusiticate your email address, add a .invalid TLD to
make sure that your spam doesn't get addressed to someone else.

--
Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Good news. Thanks.

Ted Zieglar

In article <OUvl$vhWFHA.3176@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Terry" <tredmunds
(remove this)@optonline.net> says...
> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
> people I don't know. How do I stop that?
> Thanks. Terry

In the last 15 days we've rejected 8382 of 12006 connections, and of the
ones that were not rejected, 60% were marked/processed as spam.

30 is almost nothing in the grand scheme.

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

Terry wrote:

> I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
> people I don't know. How do I stop that?

Dont give out your real email address on websites or anyplace but your
friends. Use a disposable email address for such. They are free. When
they get polluted, diss them.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Hi Terry,

>I get about 30 e-mails per day in Outlook Express from various companies &
>people I don't know. How do I stop that?

Like other posters said - this will only grow and grow and grow and

Like other posters I recommend mailwasher.

Regards Leif.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.accessibility,microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Block the sender by highlighting the email, not opening it. Then click on the
Message box up in the title bar. A dropdown will come down and you'll see a
"block sender" option. Click on that...then it will be all future ones from
that person will be blocked. It also deletes the email but sends it to your
"deleted" email box. Open the "deleted" folder highlight the email...hold the
shift key and then hit the delete key and you'll get a dialog box asking you
if you really want to delete it. Click "yes". Then it is erased from your
hard drive without ever opening it. You can do virtually the same thing in
your "in" box. Stuff you don't know anything about....highlight it, hold down
the shift key, and then push the delete key..and the same dialog box will
come up again confirming that you want to delete it, and zap...it's gone. You
don't have to open it. It works ....I do it all the time.