Sign in with
Your question

Red dots and crash using Nvidia 8800GT (Sparkle)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 4, 2010 4:24:19 PM

Hello everyone..

I got a serious problem that i can't find a answer on. I've had this problems for years but i really couldn't find a way to fix it.

When i play certain games as "Borderlands, ArmA 2, Modern Warfare 2" i get these red dots and red lines after playing 30 seconds or so followed by a freeze and eventually a crash.

I have tried everything from testing heatproblems to changing PSU.

What i don't understand is how i can play games like Red faction, Fallout 3 and many other where it reaches 75c as the other games and works fine without any problems.

and from that i conclude that it can't be a heat problem?

So my Question is do anyone got a clue what might makes the problem?

My spec is:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ (2.61 GHz Performance Rated at: 5.22 GHz)
3.0 GB RAM
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
GeForce 8800 GT 1GB (From Sparkle)
I got this PSU http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1818 (It says it produce 550W on the case but from this review it says it only produce 240W. Can this be true? or did i understand it wrong?)

NOTE: My Grapich Card is fanless(got heatsink) and reach 75+ celsius when i play. Sometimes as high as 90+

I appreciate any help i can get and sorry if my english is hard to understand. I'm Danish :) 

a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2010 4:41:49 PM

borderlands will really push a video cards temp, far more then fallout 3. i would look into better cooling for your card.
Related resources
July 4, 2010 5:08:32 PM

ct1615 said:
borderlands will really push a video cards temp, far more then fallout 3. i would look into better cooling for your card.

So is it possible to replace the heat pipes with fan cooling instead?
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2010 5:16:31 PM

I personally got two 9800gt which are basically rebranded 8800gt except one is just slightly newer. The 8800gt does put out quite a bit of heat so I recommend that you either get the cooler linked above or a zalman vf900 or the 1000. Don't get any thing that looks like crap either wise you will have a still hot running card.
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2010 5:52:55 PM

bestfistever said:
So is it possible to replace the heat pipes with fan cooling instead?

yes, here is one example of an aftermarket cooler. just don't go nuts on the price. if its close to getting a better card in price, just upgrade your card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

if you are good with modification, tossing a case fan on the cooler will also work.
a b Î Nvidia
July 4, 2010 5:54:39 PM

bestfistever said:
Would you recommend this?

its very good but for $50, i would look at getting a new card.
July 4, 2010 6:29:55 PM

bestfistever said:
Would you recommend this?

Absolutely!

It will fit your card, it sports 2 cooling fans, and memory chip and voltage regulator heat sinks are included.

And individual fan controllers are also included.

Note: Whatever you decide to do if you were to choose this cooler, make sure you thoroughly clean the memory chips and voltage regulator chips surfaces the heat sinks will be applied to, completely grease or residue free with Q-tips or Rubbing Alcohol Pads (My Favorite), before applying the stick on heat sinks that apply to your cards setup configuration.
!