Is it better to have more hertz or cache

mattster

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Which one would be better for gaming a Intel® Core™ i5-760 2.80 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1156 or a Intel® Core™ i5-655K 3.20 GHz 4M Intel Smart Cache LGA 1156? Is it better to have more Ghz with less cache or less GHz and more cache?

Solution

Those are two very different CPUs. The i5 7xx line is a quad-core CPU, while the i5 6xx series are dual-cores. The difference in core count will have a much, much bigger difference in performance than any difference in cache size. I'd suggest the i5 760 personally as unless you are running some very old applications, you probably want at least 3-4 CPU cores in a machine today as many applications can use at least two CPU cores.

And about the GPU: the HD 5570 is a low-midrange card. It will let...
Actually, both those processors are same on the cache count i.e. 2M per core.. The i5 760 gets easy recommendation over the i5 655k as the former is a quad core whereas the latter is a dual core.. MHz don't count that much here.. Both of these processors can easily be overclocked upto (possibly beyond also) 4GHz..

Concur I5-760
I5-6xx is 2 cores/ 4 threads and has a IGP
I5-760 has 4 real cores (4 cores / 4 threads)

Both are very easy to over clock.
My I5-750 (DDR3-1600) hit 3.8 GHz by simply going into Easytune 6 and selecting OC (Has option for 3.2 and 3.8), I selected the 3.8 - Worked and stable. I then went into bios and reduced Vcore. Knocked the multiplier down for 3.2 Don't really need the 3.8 - But its there.

As for most gaming the GPU is more important, with the exception of gmes that are CPU intensive.

It depends; a larger cache results in fewer reads from the memory, but given the limited amount of space the cache has compared to the amount of data stored in RAM, the extra speed will be faster 90% of the time. That being said, if you have slower memory, a larger cache will have a significantly more noticable impact...

Those are two very different CPUs. The i5 7xx line is a quad-core CPU, while the i5 6xx series are dual-cores. The difference in core count will have a much, much bigger difference in performance than any difference in cache size. I'd suggest the i5 760 personally as unless you are running some very old applications, you probably want at least 3-4 CPU cores in a machine today as many applications can use at least two CPU cores.

And about the GPU: the HD 5570 is a low-midrange card. It will let you play games at lower resolutions and lower detail. I'd suggest something along the lines of the Radeon HD 5750/5770 or 4850 or the NVIDIA GeForce GTS250 or GTS450 if you want to play games at reasonable frame rates at your monitor's full resolution. Those cards don't cost all that much more than the HD 5570 but perform a lot better.

Solution