Need to upgrade bios but system hangs

nick2d2

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hi all,

I have recently built a new system with the specs below.

PSU 650W
CPU AMD Phenom II x6 1090T
Mem 2 x Elixir 2Gig
Mobo Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H BIOS v F5 rev 1.0
Hard drive & dvd rw

Everything else I've removed to keep things simple. When I boot up, I get one short beep, the message "amd processor model unknown" and then the system will hang if I press any of the keys to go to the BIOS settings or qflash, or will go to a blank screen or hang if I don't press anything.

My processor is supported on my mobo from BIOS v F8, so my problems may be coming from that, but I can't update it seeing as it hangs when I try to do any thing.

This is my first post, but I've read the faq so hopefully haven't made any noob errors. My RAM is fine as it came out of last pc, and should be supported by my mobo. Is there anything I can do? I've tried reseating the CPU, clearing cmos and installing a better PSU.

Cheers for looking.

lugalbanda

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2010

Can you get your hands on another processor? That's it -- you need to flash your BIOS to F8 before you can use that processor. At least, I'm fairly certain that's the case. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will swing by and correct me.

I also found this: http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Support/Motherboard/CPUSupport_Model.aspx?ProductID=3143&ver=#anchor_os

* DDR2 1200+ is supported with combination of AM2+ processors and qualified memory modules, please refer "Memory Support List" for detail memory support information.

Finally, I thought that a short beep indicated a successful POST.

Contact the motherboard manufacturer (Gigabyte). When I messed up and flashed the wrong version on my DFI motherboard, DFIs tech support gave me the option of buying a new bios chip for $25 or just mailing them my chip. They flashed it with the latest bios and mailed it back to me at no charge.

nick2d2

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
@Lugalbanda, thanks for the response. If i can find another processor then i'll definitely try that. I checked that memory support list and my memory is on there, well the list says this

M2Y2G64TU8HD4B-AC

and i have this

M2Y2G64TU8HD5B-AC (notice the 5 instead of 4)

so i thought it would be ok.

By the way, I've managed to get past my original problem by removing my USB mouse and by insulating the case from the mobo by using some newspaper! I fused the plug before...

I can now access BIOS settings and qFlash through the BIOS. My problem now is that i was going to use a USB flash drive to update the BIOS, but that gives me the original hang problem again. I now need to either dig out a floppy drive or rebuild my old PC to put the BIOS update on the HD.

This is turning into a right saga...

nick2d2

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
@dndhatcher. Thanks for the response. I have put a ticket out with Gigabyte but as yet no response. Putting a new chip in would really save me some hassle!

nick2d2

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Though I'd say that I finally got round my problem by updating the BIOS by installing an old floppy drive i had lying around. Thank god for floppy!