Replacing a desktop with a laptop?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2004 3:21:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

All,

I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in an
effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make a
nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display if
possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.

Any advice would sure be appreciated
November 30, 2004 3:21:57 AM

RF wrote:
> All,
>
> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in an
> effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
> will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make a
> nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
> regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display if
> possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>
> Any advice would sure be appreciated

Check out U-bid for many refurbished laptops at about half the price
of new, and with same as new warranty.

jimbo
November 30, 2004 3:21:57 AM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:21:56 GMT, "RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>All,
>
>I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in an
>effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
>will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make a
>nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
>regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display if
>possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>
>Any advice would sure be appreciated

I've seen the posts saying that it's doable and recommending various
things. My advice is to at least spend some time with a laptop before
you give up your desktop. If you've become accustomed to the desktop,
it may be very painful to use a laptop exclusively. I personally have
a nice laptop (IBM Thinkpad T42 with 15" screen), but when my
homebuilt failed a few months ago, and I had to use the laptop
exclusively while building another desktop..... I was miserable. The
laptop is fine for trips, and a blessing at the library, but not for
my everyday use. Give me my high performance 2+ GHz, 1 GB memory, twin
160 GB hard drive, dual 19 inch screens desktop for serious work.

---
Charlie Hoffpauir
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2004 3:21:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

We did it at my house and love it!!! Talked some friends of ours into doing
it when they were looking at desktops, and they really resent the cost of
having to buy a battery every couple of years (go figure, everyone's
different, but as they see it it's operating costs are *so much* higher
than the desktop they wanted that it really bothers them). They also worry
about repair costs should it break (it probably will break more often than a
desktop on average), and of course they are more fragile to begin with, so
they do meet with more accidents.

My wife and I are now looking at buying our second laptop so we don't
compete for the only one we have!

Chip

"RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in
> an
> effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
> will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make
> nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
> regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display
> if
> possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>
> Any advice would sure be appreciated

November 30, 2004 3:38:59 AM

In comp.sys.laptops RF <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote:
: All,

: I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in an
: effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
: will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make a
: nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
: regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display if
: possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.

Performance will be a little less for the buck, but if you're not
concerned, I think a laptop is a great alternative to a desktop PC.
Get a wireless router and you don't even need to be wired to get on
the internet. I have a desktop at home with a 17" screen but I almost
never turn it on anymore - I almost always use my laptop with its 15"
screen.

Consider shopping at Costco for a good deal with a 6-month
no-questions-asked return policy on computers.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

"RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote in news:E2Pqd.167273$HA.25603@attbi_s01:

> All,
>
> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop,
> (in an effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and
> portability will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think
> that it would make a nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else
> done this? Do you have regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and
> would like a nice display if possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at
> Tigerdirect.com.
>
> Any advice would sure be appreciated

Since purchasing my laptop nearly two years ago, I've nearly exculsively
used it. I've just purchased a USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter for my external DVD
burner use, and am now free of the desktop. The big issue for me was
getting away from the desktops that made my ears ring, and this has been a
terrific improvement.

With the laptop, I think it is necessary to buy what you want, rather than
being able to insert PCI cards later for future wants/needs. This includes
having sufficient RAM and hard drive space.

The display is something you want to be careful about. I just got an SXA
because I wanted to stick with a 1024x768 resolution. With a 15" display,
this is as good as the same setting on my 17" desktop monitor, but any
smaller would be too hard on my eyes. However, for my next laptop, I may
go with a better resolution, with the hope of dealing with the size issue
by using a larger DPI setting.

I originally went only with a wired network connection because of concern
about wireless security, but wound up going WiFI and really enjoying this
freedom.

I have a P4 Mobile 2.0 ghz processor, and this is fine, but next time I
expect to go to a Pentium M processor for the better battery life.

Being a NY resident, I was not able to get Dell's complete care coverage
that I wanted, but I now understand that is available by doing a Small
Business purchase instead of the Home purchase. This takes care of
potential problems such as spilling coffee on the keyboard, and dropping
the laptop and breaking the LCD.

--
Tom McCune
a b D Laptop

"Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
news:D ZQqd.26715$Uf.21830@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> "RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote in news:E2Pqd.167273$HA.25603@attbi_s01:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop,
>> (in an effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and
>> portability will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think
>> that it would make a nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else
>> done this? Do you have regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and
>> would like a nice display if possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at
>> Tigerdirect.com.
>>
>> Any advice would sure be appreciated
>
> Since purchasing my laptop nearly two years ago, I've nearly exculsively
> used it. I've just purchased a USB 2.0 PCMCIA adapter for my external DVD
> burner use, and am now free of the desktop. The big issue for me was
> getting away from the desktops that made my ears ring, and this has been a
> terrific improvement.
>
> With the laptop, I think it is necessary to buy what you want, rather than
> being able to insert PCI cards later for future wants/needs. This
> includes
> having sufficient RAM and hard drive space.
>
> The display is something you want to be careful about. I just got an SXA
> because I wanted to stick with a 1024x768 resolution. With a 15" display,
> this is as good as the same setting on my 17" desktop monitor, but any
> smaller would be too hard on my eyes. However, for my next laptop, I may
> go with a better resolution, with the hope of dealing with the size issue
> by using a larger DPI setting.
>
> I originally went only with a wired network connection because of concern
> about wireless security, but wound up going WiFI and really enjoying this
> freedom.
>
> I have a P4 Mobile 2.0 ghz processor, and this is fine, but next time I
> expect to go to a Pentium M processor for the better battery life.
>
> Being a NY resident, I was not able to get Dell's complete care coverage
> that I wanted, but I now understand that is available by doing a Small
> Business purchase instead of the Home purchase. This takes care of
> potential problems such as spilling coffee on the keyboard, and dropping
> the laptop and breaking the LCD.

So does a policy, from my State Farm agent, for around $45 a year. Covers
anything at all, including just plane old worn out breakage. It's a
separate policy from my home owners insurance, so I'm not even sure that you
need to be an existing customer of theirs.

Chip
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2004 5:35:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I forgot to mention that taking my laptop camping was terrific. On a rainy
day, the DVD movie watching was good entertainment. And having Internet
access was nice too.

--
Tom McCune
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Chip Orange" <acorange@comcast.net> wrote in

> So does a policy, from my State Farm agent, for around $45 a year.
> Covers anything at all, including just plane old worn out breakage.
> It's a separate policy from my home owners insurance, so I'm not even
> sure that you need to be an existing customer of theirs.

I think the only way to really find out is to contact your agent. But, I
would not be optimistic.

--
Tom McCune
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in
> an
> effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
> will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make
> nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
> regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display
> if
> possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>
> Any advice would sure be appreciated

There can be a big difference between getting a cheap servicable laptop as
your 2nd PC and actually REPLACING the desktop. Hard drive space, fast
video card and other add-ons can make a laptop expensive if you really want
to replace the desktop. I have 2 laptops which have replaced about 80% of
my desktop use, but ...I still have a desktop hooked up to a scanner, a
nice printer and a good monitor, if I really want to do anything serious
with graphics. It has a big HDD and I use it to backup my laptops, etc.
November 30, 2004 7:39:53 AM

"Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message

> "RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> All,
>>
>> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in
>> an
>> effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and
>> portability
>> will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would
>> make a
>> nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
>> regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display
>> if
>> possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>>
>> Any advice would sure be appreciated
>>

> There can be a big difference between getting a cheap servicable laptop as
> your 2nd PC and actually REPLACING the desktop. Hard drive space, fast
> video card and other add-ons can make a laptop expensive if you really
> want to replace the desktop. I have 2 laptops which have replaced about
> 80% of my desktop use, but ...I still have a desktop hooked up to a
> scanner, a nice printer and a good monitor, if I really want to do
> anything serious with graphics. It has a big HDD and I use it to backup
> my laptops, etc.

They make USB storage in the form of HDD's. You can do almost anything on a
laptop that a PC can do for just a little more $$. Aside from hardcore
gaming that is. Even then, that is getting better and better with time.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2004 7:57:43 AM

"Clob" <clobercow@verizon.net> wrote in message

> "Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> All,
>>>
>>> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop,
>>> (in an
>>> effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and
>>> portability
>>> will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would
>>> make a
>>> nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
>>> regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display
>>> if
>>> possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>>>
>>> Any advice would sure be appreciated
>>>

>> There can be a big difference between getting a cheap servicable laptop
>> as your 2nd PC and actually REPLACING the desktop. Hard drive space,
>> fast video card and other add-ons can make a laptop expensive if you
>> really want to replace the desktop. I have 2 laptops which have replaced
>> about 80% of my desktop use, but ...I still have a desktop hooked up to
>> a scanner, a nice printer and a good monitor, if I really want to do
>> anything serious with graphics. It has a big HDD and I use it to backup
>> my laptops, etc.
>>

> They make USB storage in the form of HDD's. You can do almost anything on
> a laptop that a PC can do for just a little more $$. Aside from hardcore
> gaming that is. Even then, that is getting better and better with time.
Exactly my point. He's talking about a $1000 re-furb. Which will make a
nice second machine. But if he really wants to replace the desktop, he's
going to spend more... more on the laptop and more on additional stuff like
the USB storage.
November 30, 2004 10:41:22 AM

Tom McCune wrote:
> I forgot to mention that taking my laptop camping was terrific. On a rainy
> day, the DVD movie watching was good entertainment. And having Internet
> access was nice too.

Where did you camp that had internet access? The local Wall Mart
parking lot? Or did you get satellite?

jimbo
November 30, 2004 10:47:49 AM

RF wrote:
> All,
>
> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in an
> effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
> will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make a
> nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
> regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display if
> possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>
> Any advice would sure be appreciated

We have two Sony PCG-GRT150s here. Check out the specs. They make very
nice computers, but we also each have desktops. The laptops are used
for extended travel. I think these laptops could replace the desktops
if it was necessary. I have two USB2.0 external cases, one with a 200
GB hard drive and the other with a DVD burner. I can backup both
laptops to the hard drive. (The GRT150s have 60 GB hard drives and DVD
read/CD burn drives.)

Another option is to replace the wife.

Good luck, jimbo
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 30, 2004 1:05:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:21:56 GMT, "RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote:

>All,
>
>I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in an
>effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
>will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make a
>nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
>regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display if
>possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>
>Any advice would sure be appreciated

Hard to beat HewlettPackard zv5000z series. Athlon 64 power for less than
$1000.

<http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_ser...;

or

http://tinyurl.com/6uwtf

regards

Dud
--

You've tried the rest.....
http://www.altap.cz/salam_en/newver.html

Duddits wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 00:21:56 GMT, "RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>All,
>>
>>I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in
>>an effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and
>>portability will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that
>>it would make a nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this?
>>Do you have regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a
>>nice display if possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>>
>>Any advice would sure be appreciated
>>
> Hard to beat HewlettPackard zv5000z series. Athlon 64 power for less than
> $1000.

Check the specs though. That's a pretty stripped down machine at under
$1000. It's got the 64 bit processor, but way down toward the bottom of
the range, but not much RAM or disk. Compare apples to apples and it's
about the same as the Gateway. If I was going for a Linux box the HP might
be a better choice--there's 64-bit support for nvidia under Linux but not
for ATI yet. For a Windows box that sits on a desktop the Gateway would be
a better choice IMO. If it's actually going to be used as a portable and
video performance isn't critical then the availability of a 12-cell battery
for the HP might give it the edge.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Another option is to replace the wife.

Good luck, jimbo

Jimbo,
She's got a GREAT ASS! So I'm stuck.

RF
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 1, 2004 2:06:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

jimbo <jimbo62@spamex.com> wrote in

>> I forgot to mention that taking my laptop camping was terrific. On a
>> rainy day, the DVD movie watching was good entertainment. And having
>> Internet access was nice too.
>>

> Where did you camp that had internet access? The local Wall Mart
> parking lot? Or did you get satellite?

We did a loop from central NY down to NC and back home via western NY. One
campground had WiFI access, but most of the time, my access was through the
Verizon Wireless Americas Choice plan (per minutes of use access - free
nights and weekends). I guess it is also becomming fairly common to have
at least one or two wired access plugs - the campground with the WiFi
access also had a wired connection available by the payphone. Two
campgrounds had us on only the extended network cell phone access, so the
Verizon Wireless Internet access was not available - I've now installed the
Road Runner dial up access for when I next encounter that problem.

--
Tom McCune
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

read all the responses and they're all good. here's my 2 cents:

the screen is all important.

i've had a number of nice laptops, from the tiny IBM X31 to the massive HP
ZD7000, and a dozen others in between. ALl have their advantages. But go to
your local best buy or circuit city and take a look at the screens on the
new Sonys and Toshibas. Be sure to see the ones called XtraBrite on Sony,
and something similar on Toshibas. These screens are stunning, take your
breath away good.

I bought a mid-line Sony X25 (15.4" XBrite widescreen, 2.8GHz, 60 G drive, I
added some memory to get to 768 MB, 2.4x DVD+/-RW, 3 USB2 ports, Firewire,
PCMCIA, 802.11b/g built in) and have been very pleased replacing my Shuttle
ST61G4.

THe new machine is a tiny bit slower, much much quieter, much less mess.
Any Sony XBrite or the Tosh Qosmio will make you (and the wife) happy
campers.

"RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> All,
>
> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop, (in
an
> effort to help save my marriage). I figure the convenience and portability
> will make it worth it. I am not in to gaming, but think that it would make
> nice little dvd player at work. Has anyone else done this? Do you have
> regrets? I am looking at spending a grand, and would like a nice display
if
> possibe, I have seen some nice refurbs at Tigerdirect.com.
>
> Any advice would sure be appreciated

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 2, 2004 5:33:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"RF" <janusvi@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I am thinking about replacing my home built pc with a smaller laptop

The screen is the key item.

Don't go for too high resolution.
Mine is 1400x1050 and I thought "great!"
And it is great for viewing images or some CAD apps.
But most of the web is written by people who optimise their pages to look
good on the monitor they have typically 1K x 768 pixels. And they try to
cram lots of text in. So text looks squitty and IE6 won't let you enlarge
text with specified font sizes.

Definitely check out the screen viewing angle and contrast ratio.
Ask to see it playing a DVD with dark images.
Make sure there is no intensity gradient or changes as you move your head
up/down.

And check out quietness, when it has been running long enough for the
cooling to switch on.
Mine is certainly quieter than my floortop PC, but it is by no means silent.

In short, a laptop has the convenience of size but LCDs are not entirely as
good as CRTs, the keyboards are awkward after using the standard keyboard,
they are not so upgradeable, etc.

If you don't need to be able to fold it up into a rucksack and cycle to
clients, then consider getting one of those tiny PC boxes and an LCD
monitor. You can upgrade the latter if needed.

DVD drive is not silent, and tiny speakers are rather 'tinny.
Playing DVDs is a neat trick but you are better having a dedicated DVD
player.

Unfortunately I really am forced to minimise the size & weight of my stuff
(moving soon) so I have to choose a laptop.

K.
!