Your question

I3 and i5

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Gaming
  • Intel i5
Last response: in CPUs
October 19, 2010 11:01:38 AM

I am planning to buy a laptop and I am going to use it 50% for gaming and 50% for browsing. My choices ended with two, one has i3 processor while the other is i5. Is there a big difference between these two for my needs? (some gaming and web browsing?)

More about : question

a b à CPUs
October 19, 2010 11:45:31 AM

Corei3 is a dual core and Corei5 is a quad core. Quad core is better my friend choose that.
October 19, 2010 11:47:38 AM

venjhammet said:
Corei3 is a dual core and Corei5 is a quad core. Quad core is better my friend choose that.

Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 19, 2010 10:47:49 PM

Not all i5 CPUs are Quad Core. Some are also dual-core. Do you know the exact model numbers of the CPUs you're comparing?

Either way, the i5 are the higher tier processors, and should have the better performance. Especially gaming wise. If you want a good Quad-Core for games, the i5-750 or i5-760 are the ones to pick. :) 
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 19, 2010 11:29:18 PM

Nope. *Mobile* i5s are all duals. Hes probably talking about the i3-3X0M and the i5- 5X0M.
Whats the price difference? If its more than $100 then go for the i3. What GPU do both have though?
October 20, 2010 8:23:31 AM

I still choose core i3 than i5 for gaming.
October 20, 2010 8:55:54 AM

dEAne said:

Why would you choose i3 over i5 for gaming?
a b à CPUs
October 20, 2010 7:50:30 PM

^ Because it is cheaper and most games won't benefit from the added CPU power. Besides, more i5s are 2C/4T, the difference is just the Turbo (which i3 lacks).
October 21, 2010 5:00:31 AM

I appreciate your help guys but I'm probably more confused than ever lol.

These are the Contradictions I got from the topic:

i3: Better for Gaming
i5: Better for gaming

i3: Is Dual Core
i5: Is Quad Core

i3 and i5 are the same except that i5 has Turbo

By the way the price difference is not much, so it is not a factor at all.
October 24, 2010 10:05:56 AM

Quote:
^WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!?!?!? The MOBILE Corei5 are Dual Core with HT and Turbo. The MOBILE i3s are Dual Core with HT but NO Turbo.

See: http://ark.intel.com/ProductCollection.aspx?familyId=43...

PLEASE look up info before talking.

zomg! wtf rofl! d00d!..etc

Did you even read the posts of other people?

Quote:

Quote:

Not all i5 CPUs are Quad Core. Some are also dual-core. Do you know the exact model numbers of the CPUs you're comparing?

Quote:

Either way, the i5 are the higher tier processors, and should have the better performance. Especially gaming wise. If you want a good Quad-Core for games, the i5-750 or i5-760 are the ones to pick. :) 

Quote:

If you don't see contradictions there, then go ahead and roflchopperzomg all day.

a c 159 à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
October 24, 2010 10:56:13 AM

If you want to do alot of gaming, get a laptop designed for it. Alienware had one for $2195 sold at frys. Laptops tend to run alot warmer. You'll need a separate cooler for extended gaming time no matter which cpu you choose. Mobile i5 may have different specs from the desktop version.
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2010 11:46:41 PM

yabyab said:
zomg! wtf rofl! d00d!..etc

Did you even read the posts of other people?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

If you don't see contradictions there, then go ahead and roflchopperzomg all day.

Oh sorry, I directed it at the wrong person. There is so much misinfomation on this thread it's not funny.
!