Sign in with
Your question

Will this Dell Inspiron 580S run Starcraft 2?

Last response: in Systems
August 10, 2010 4:00:49 PM

Hello,

I am having an argument with a friend. He is convinced that the onboard graphics of the Dell Inspiron 580S will have “no trouble” running Starcraft 2. I am very skeptical and have configured him a cyberpower unit I know will run it. He also thinks that Dell rocks and overclocking is a crock.

Here’s the Dell specs:

Intel® CoreTM i5
Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD up to NVIDIA® GeForce® G310 512MB DDR3 (shared)
4 megs DDR 3 RAM

Here’s the Starcraft 2 recommended specs:

PC: Windows Vista/Windows 7
Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better

I’d really like to hear from someone who has actually tried it on the Dell but all speculation is welcome. You guys know your stuff.

Thanks much

August 10, 2010 5:03:52 PM

what do you mean by your

Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD up to NVIDIA® GeForce® G310 512MB DDR3 (shared)

what is that supposed to mean?

and if it is the Geforce 310 then yes it can run Starcraft 2 but on low setting.
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2010 7:20:45 PM

Thanks tech. I guess upendra doesn't understand english. I cut n pasted that right from DELL's site. Hmmm, maybe Dell don't understand english. ; )
m
l
August 10, 2010 8:43:11 PM

"Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD up to NVIDIA® GeForce® G310 512MB DDR3 (shared)" - How I read this statement is, it is saying is your system will either have integrated graphics or a discrete graphics card, with the G310 being the max card. If the G310 will hardly play the game at low settings, than you will be out of luck with a integrated graphics situation.
m
l
August 10, 2010 8:49:48 PM

I am guessing hes running integrated graphics in which case he has no chance to play the game. Most people purchase their machines with integrated cards. You need to purchase a dedicated card to run the game even if you have the G310 it will be pretty much unplayable if anything. What is the wattage on your PSU?
m
l
August 11, 2010 12:30:48 AM

pschmeer said:
Thanks tech. I guess upendra doesn't understand english. I cut n pasted that right from DELL's site. Hmmm, maybe Dell don't understand english. ; )

then you tell me what that means

do you have the integrated graphics or the GT 310/ or do you have all stages of graphics cards between those two?
m
l
August 11, 2010 7:50:11 AM

pschmeer said:
Hello,

I am having an argument with a friend. He is convinced that the onboard graphics of the Dell Inspiron 580S will have “no trouble” running Starcraft 2. I am very skeptical and have configured him a cyberpower unit I know will run it. He also thinks that Dell rocks and overclocking is a crock.

Here’s the Dell specs:

Intel® CoreTM i5
4 megs DDR 3 RAM

Here’s the Starcraft 2 recommended specs:

PC: Windows Vista/Windows 7
Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
2 GB RAM
512 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon HD 3870 or better

I’d really like to hear from someone who has actually tried it on the Dell but all speculation is welcome. You guys know your stuff.

Thanks much

Dell sucks.. and inter-graded graphics is not going to help you... If he is that dumb he does not deserve your friend ship. OR you can make a bet lets say $100 that it won't run well. You will win he will loose and you will be richer.
m
l
August 16, 2010 1:05:35 AM

Integrated graphics will definitely not be enough for SC2. I used a GMA 3100 with SC2 before and the only time I got acceptable graphics was when I was looking at a fogged out part of the map. Even when there's only a few workers gathering minerals, I experienced lag below 20 fps. Small skirmishes will bring my computer down to around 12 fps :p 
m
l
August 30, 2010 10:25:59 PM

Bet him the 100 dollars ,dell sucks period /overpriced and cheap hardware.

Why pay cyberpower for outdated hardware with a new graphics card at an inflated price ? oh yah thats what noobs due .

You can easily build your own pc from new egg/Tigerdierct ect...with better hardware at a real discount.If your to lazy to learn ask some overclockers for budget rig advice they love building PC's and will tell you what to buy and where usually.try overclocking wiki or here . prebuilt is never as good for the money.
m
l
August 30, 2010 10:27:23 PM

oh yah, I'm playing SC2 at max settings and my pc was probably cheaper than his.lol
m
l
!