Difference between Intel chipsets?

almrls

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
What is the advantage of the Z68 over the P67 chipset, besides the ability to use the Sandy Bridge's onboard GPU?

I am upgrading my aging gaming PC, and I have my eye on an i5 2400, nicely under $200. I don't plan to enthusiastically overclock, which is why I passed on the 2500K, but I read you can still OC a 2400 up to 3.99Ghz (confirm?), which is fine for me. I also passed on the H61/H67 mobos because I read they don't allow any overclocking of the CPU at all, but if the $40-$50 price difference isn't worth that little bit of OCing ability, please let me know.

Now, I dont plan to use the onboard GPU, I will use my own discrete video card. I will not do SLi or Crossfire anytime soon. And I have an old IDE/PATA DVD burner, but I can just get a SATA adapter, right? <

So I ask, do Z68 mobos have any extra features besides the onboard GPU support over P67s? Is a P67 all I need, or will I miss certain features on the Z68? Thanks.

The i5-2400 CPU can be overclocked by +400MHz Turbo, so that would be 3.8GHz. Then if you are very very very lucky, you might be able to increase the BCLK setting to get around 4.0GHz total speed.

I recommend a P67 board.

Ditch the old IDE burner -- those adapters don't always work, and a new SATA burner is only $20.