AMD Phenom for Notebook

kk1987

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
AMD Phenom™ II Quad-Core Mobile Processor N930 (2.0GHz, 2M, 3.6GT/s)
Please suggest the pros and cons of this processor as compare to Core i7 720 QM Quad Core.I am confused as I have heard that AMD processore in notebook gets heated up too quickly and extracts a lot of battery power.please clarify my doubt related to the AMD and suggest me the right one.

Actually, the TDP of the i7 720QM is higher than that of the neutered Phenom.

As far as 'pros & cons' you need to give us an idea as to your uses for the notebook. Overall, from a pure computing standpoint, the i5-2520M is a better buy than the quads.

And then there is the graphics subsystem -- need some ideas as to your plans, here. The ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5450 is great entry level for advanced portable graphics, and the ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5750 with GDDR5 is really sweet from a performance/efficiency standpoint.

Most important: In Q1-11, we should start to see the Sandy Bridge mobile processors in retail. Plus, in Q4-10, the new ATi Mobility Radeon HD 6XXX chipsets should start rolling.

So ... patience over the next few months may be your friend :D

kk1987

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010

thanks...for your advice but my requirement is full time gaming ,internet browsing and downloading.
currently in India dell is providing core i5 460M this is the maximum config of processor offered by them.Can you comment on the processor according to my need.As i am looking forward to purchase within a month.

I'm not the notebook guru around here but I will give it my best :)

On the cpu side, the i5 460M is perfect for your needs. In the States the Dell Studio 14 is available with the ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5450 1GB discreet graphics for less than $1,000US. The performance of the Mobility Radeon HD 5450 will be roughly equivalent to the Geforce GT 240M at half the TDP. This is entry-level gaming. To advance the quality of your gaming you will need to move up. It then gets interesting (and can get quite expensive).

Take a look at the Dell/Alienware 15x: i5 460M / Radeon 5730 for $1,500US. Performance should be great at medium to high detail settings --- The 5730 is comparable to the GeForce GTS 250M (and roughly 25% better than the HD5450/GT240M).

Beyond that, the money gets more serious and the power consumption increases exponentially (easily doubling & tripling). As an example: moving from the 5730 to the 5870 mobility bumps graphics TDP from 25w to 50w (the GeForce GTX 460M 70w+ :ouch: )

kk1987

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Hey thanks.
i got that i am purchasing Dell Studio14 from states and it is having Core i7 720QM processor and rest configuration, i think you must be knowing as you have pointed to same reference.I think it will be fine for mine requirements.
Can the global warranty be extended for more than a year...i mean to say may for 3yrs..because my folks in US are not sure about it.