Sign in with
Your question

Samsung 830 Slow Boot

Last response: in Storage
November 5, 2012 1:30:14 AM

Just built a new computer. I have only installed a few programs (AVG, Chrome, some of the software that came with the hardware), but the computer boots up very slowly. Using BootRacer, my time to logon is 9 seconds, time to desktop is 63 seconds, and my user wait is 0 seconds. I only have 5 services running at start-up for sound, usb 3.0, and my logitech keyboard.

As seen here, benchmarks are seemingly good:

System Specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
GPU: MSI GTX 670
SSD: Samsung 830 128 GB (Windows 7)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
CPU: i7-3770K
RAM: 16 GB (4x4 GB) Ripjaws

Does anyone have any idea as to what I should do? The SSD is plugged into the SATA 3 port using a 6gb/s cable. I checked BIOS priorities (HDD isn't even shown), and I have followed an optimization guide and have done almost everything. Next I will try removing the HDD and seeing if it speeds up.

More about : samsung 830 slow boot

a b G Storage
November 5, 2012 2:15:31 PM

Do you set your system to RAID or AHCI?
AHCI should be used, maybe you can uninstall the Intel drivers and try the OS included MS drivers.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2012 4:02:06 PM

Yes it's set to AHCI. Tried using the msahci driver instead, no change.

Unplugged the HDD for startup, no change.

Updated the bios to the latest version, no change.

Updated all of the motherboard drivers from the gigabyte website aside from Atheros LAN (used Intel instead), Marvell & Intel preinstall SATA drivers (no floppy drive), and Intel VGA driver (system doesn't meet requirements apparently??). Ran into a couple of errors during the creative audio driver update so I'm looking into that now. Doubt that will solve my problem.
m
l
November 5, 2012 9:20:08 PM

Found out that my GTX 670 drivers were about 6 months old even though I ran the MSI updater. Updated them and the problem was solved!
m
l
a c 311 G Storage
November 5, 2012 11:33:09 PM

Glad to hear you solved the problem. I am a somewwhat surprised to read that video drivers were the problem.
m
l
!