Soloing is easier than multi-character! (so far)

I'm doing my first ever solo (BG1 / ToTSC), and very good fun it is too -
I've ended up using very different tactics to those I normally use.

The logic I used to create my character went as follows:

Since my character is going to be all alone in the wilderness, I
Gatekeepered all stats to 18 (Strength to 18/00). This also helps with not
getting encumbered by heavy spoils, and thus I don't have to run back to
base so often. Linked to this I installed ease-of-use so I can stack
arrows, potions etc more effectively.

I'll want to pick off enemies from a distance as much as possible, only
going to melee when the enemy gets up close and personal (a big change from
my multi-character games where I always had 2 fighter types that charged
anything in sight). Thus I need 2 weapon slots minimum, so that I can
change weapons without switching to the inventory each time.

I also wanted to be well protected straight away - able to use any armour.

I want to be able to use some magic - protective / healing / boosting is
more important to me than offensive.

I'll only join forces with an NPC long enough to nick their stuff and put
them in team colours. They can also cast any beneficial spells on me before
I boot them out.

Taking all the above into consideration, I chose a Paladin. With only 1
character, gold and experience pile up rapidly, so buying the best kit
available is not a problem. I rarely need to fight more than 1 enemy at a
time, since as soon as I spot an enemy I hammer him with arrows (?) until
he's right next to me, then switch to melee. One pace forward and the next
enemy comes into view... repeat until they're all splodges on the floor. I
rarely lose any health because Protection From Evil give me 2 more on my
armour class - and when I do I can heal myself.

The only drawbacks I can see are not being able to find / remove traps, and
being mind-magicked in some way without any back-up.

So far it seems that soloing is easier than multi-character, if more
time-consuming (I'm just coming up to Cloakwood). No doubt things will get
trickier soon enough.

What do you choose when you solo, and why? Would you multi-class? What
tactics do you use? Does it make a difference if you are going to take the
character through BG2?

Col.
3 answers Last reply
More about soloing easier multi character
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > Since my character is going to be all alone in the wilderness, I
    > Gatekeepered all stats to 18 (Strength to 18/00). This also helps with not
    > getting encumbered by heavy spoils, and thus I don't have to run back to
    > base so often. Linked to this I installed ease-of-use so I can stack
    > arrows, potions etc more effectively.
    Snip

    Of course the game will be easier! You've just cheated and created an
    uber pc! If you were to change all characters stats in a six man party
    to 18 it would be equally easy.
    The game will become a bit more challenging later provided you don't
    remove the level cap.

    > What do you choose when you solo, and why? Would you multi-class? What
    > tactics do you use? Does it make a difference if you are going to take the
    > character through BG2?

    Fighter/mage/thief is the easiest to solo BG1. Hafling Fighter/thief
    multi is the easiest for BG2 if you have TOB installed. They thief
    high level 'Use any item' ability makes the thief able to use scrolls
    at 3 million exp. He rocks!

    Badbark
    "Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd
    have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, it takes religion."
    - Steven Weinberg, Nobel laureate physicist
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    "Badbark" <badbark@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Since my character is going to be all alone in the wilderness, I
    > > Gatekeepered all stats to 18 (Strength to 18/00). This also helps with
    not
    > > getting encumbered by heavy spoils, and thus I don't have to run back to
    > > base so often. Linked to this I installed ease-of-use so I can stack
    > > arrows, potions etc more effectively.
    > Snip
    >
    > Of course the game will be easier! You've just cheated and created an
    > uber pc! If you were to change all characters stats in a six man party
    > to 18 it would be equally easy.
    > The game will become a bit more challenging later provided you don't
    > remove the level cap.

    Guilty! But I think even with lower stats, the way I find myself playing
    solo would still be easier. But that's really more of comment on my
    (absent) tactics with a full party - I tend to just stick the AI on and wade
    in, rather than micromanaging every encounter, and so I get splatted pretty
    often.
    Col
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.baldurs-gate (More info?)

    > solo would still be easier. But that's really more of comment on my
    > (absent) tactics with a full party - I tend to just stick the AI on and
    wade
    > in, rather than micromanaging every encounter, and so I get splatted
    pretty
    > often.
    > Col

    A good wade in/micro mange split I like to use with a party, though of
    course I am no expert, is to have auto pause set for spell made, ran out of
    ammo, target killed and member dead. This seems to be quite a good balance
    between free flowing and having some control.

    ATB
    The Chris

Games Video Games