Geforce 8800gtx compatible for p55 motherboard

Hello guys,
just planning to upgrade my computer but dont want to change my graphics card i have geforce 8800gtx nvidia and planning to buy core i5, but this is my question: what is the best p55 motherboard that is compatible on my graphics card using core i5 processor, can you guys give me some tips like cheaper price but excellent performance, (150-170 dollars budget for motherboard)
3 answers Last reply
More about geforce 8800gtx compatible motherboard
  1. What do you use your PC for?

Don't go for the 1156. Get the 1155 Sandy Bridge CPU's, you can get a cheap i3 2100 3.1GHz for like 99 bucks at a Microcenter ($124 on Newegg I think too) and a nice mobo around the $80-$150 mark for either a H67 or a P67. Since it seems like you only have 1 card, that price range for mobos would fit you good, and the i3 will even be enough to power a 560 Ti which I do recommend if you eventually upgrade your 8800 GTX. If you are upgrading from a DDR2 build, keep in mind that DDR3 is now the standard, and that you will need to get new RAM, and if you do, 2x4GB sticks is recommended, at least if you are like me and like to keep Firefox open with 20 some tabs while running a game or similar app. ASRock brand is cheap, but the quality that company delivers is very very nice, as I just bought a i3/ASRock mobo combo and I really like it, although it was for a HTPC.

If you plan to overclock, the price will be a little higher, since you will need an unlocked i5 2500k CPU, plus a P67 or Z68 mobo (not H61/H67), but everything else stays the same.

ASRock P67 $110

G Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB Shell Shocker for 6/13 $60
  2. Katzie said:
    What do you use your PC for?

Don't go for the 1156. Get the 1155 Sandy Bridge CPU's, you can get a cheap i3 2100 3.1GHz for like 99 bucks at a Microcenter ($124 on Newegg I think too) and a nice mobo around the $80-$150 mark for either a H67 or a P67. Since it seems like you only have 1 card, that price range for mobos would fit you good, and the i3 will even be enough to power a 560 Ti which I do recommend if you eventually upgrade your 8800 GTX. If you are upgrading from a DDR2 build, keep in mind that DDR3 is now the standard, and that you will need to get new RAM, and if you do, 2x4GB sticks is recommended, at least if you are like me and like to keep Firefox open with 20 some tabs while running a game or similar app. ASRock brand is cheap, but the quality that company delivers is very very nice, as I just bought a i3/ASRock mobo combo and I really like it, although it was for a HTPC.

If you plan to overclock, the price will be a little higher, since you will need an unlocked i5 2500k CPU, plus a P67 or Z68 mobo (not H61/H67), but everything else stays the same.

ASRock P67 $110

G Skill Ripjaws 2x4GB Shell Shocker for 6/13 $60

Hello Katzie,

Thanks for your reply i will do your suggestions but is it sure if i use mobo p67 or h67 will be compatible for my 8800gtx? or even i use ASrock p55 brand? and is it okay if i still use my ballistix tracer 2x1gb ddr2? for sure if i have budget i will upgrade also for ddr3 RAM.
  3. Your welcome. The H67/P67/Z68 is compatible with your 8800GTX.

The P55 is 1156 socket CPU chipset, and the new i series Sandy bridge CPU's won't fit in those boards.

You won't be able to use your DDR2 RAM in any of the boards listed above, so you'll need to get DDR3. 2x4GB kits are featured and have a lot of daily deals on Newegg a lot, mostly from 70-100 bucks. You can get 2x2GB kits for around 50-70 as well, so in the long run I'd try to land a deal with an 8GB kit.

Also going with 1155 you will be able to upgrade to Ivy Bridge when it comes out if you have the money in the future (if you plan on upgrading, go with P67 for sure) and my suggestion would be to get an i3 2100, the P67, and 8GB RAm Kit, and then upgrade to an unlocked Ivy Bridge Processor when they come out. Just my 2 cents there. :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Motherboards Geforce Compatibility Product