Sign in with
Your question

My first build

Last response: in Systems
August 10, 2010 5:37:08 PM

Hi you guys this is my first time ive build a computer just wanted to see some thoughts i did some research and i ran into some problems. anyhow here is my hardware.

AMD Phenom II x4 965 processor stock clock @ 3.4ghz (black edition)
Asus Crosshair formula iii Motherboard.
4gigs of DDR3 ram 1600 from ADATA's gaming series
XfX ATI Radeon 5850 black edition graphics card (had free shipping and ended up being cheaper than regular 5850) :D 
Ultra 750 watt power supply( has a lifetime warranty)
i have a Sata/300, 7200rpm 500gb hard drive
Asus optical drive
And a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cpu cooler.

BUDGET RANGE: 1000-1500

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming and Multimedia design

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor and ultra 750 watt power supply

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: tigerdirect and newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD, ASUS, XFX, ATI

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Crossfire X

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920X1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Ok so here are my problems that i ran into i dont know how to connect the optical drive bay i feel so stupid for this but my optical drive was oem and did not come with instructions or cables. Secondly the other day i think i might have damaged my processor. I was taking out the processor heat sink and i could not take it out so i applied a little more force, I did not want to twist because it was solid stuck on there... So i finally got it to come out and i was like oh snaps where is the processor. I looked and it was stuck to the bottom of the heatsink i applied a little indirect heat to the heatsink and twisted the processor off. No pins were damaged so i cleaned it up with 90% alcohol and a microfiber and put it back in the motherboard and whallaaaa fit just fine do you think i damaged it? i cant really test it until friday when my power supply ships in. And some tips would be great too... And comments on my build.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: The parts were all bought within last two months

More about : build

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 10, 2010 5:55:11 PM

For the optical drive, you need a SATA cable, it's thin & flat and has an L-shaped connector (4 or more should have come with the motherboard) and a power cable (from the PSU).

SATA connector is the one on the left

EDIT: Hmm, not sure why the image isn't working. Just copy the link to your address bar, I guess.

It sounds like you dealt with the processor just fine, though obviously there's no way to know for certain at the moment.

Build looks fine, I probably would have spent a little more on the graphics card and less on the mobo, but the Crosshair IV does look pretty hot (I have one myself).
m
l
August 10, 2010 5:57:03 PM

coldsleep said:
For the optical drive, you need a SATA cable, it's thin & flat and has an L-shaped connector (4 or more should have come with the motherboard) and a power cable (from the PSU).

SATA connector is the one on the left
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SATA2_und_eSATA-Stecker.jpg

It sounds like you dealt with the processor just fine, though obviously there's no way to know for certain at the moment.

Build looks fine, I probably would have spent a little more on the graphics card and less on the mobo, but the Crosshair IV does look pretty hot (I have one myself).

see im running on a budget of about 1300 i actually got the mobo for 160 dollars USA my plan is to crossfire the 5850 by next month :D 
m
l
August 10, 2010 5:59:10 PM

He already bought most of the hardware. There's little point in having him fill out the build advice form if 90% of the hardware is already in his possession.

And that motherboard for $160 is a nice deal. Hopefully it wasn't open box?
m
l
August 10, 2010 6:04:05 PM

coldsleep said:
He already bought most of the hardware. There's little point in having him fill out the build advice form if 90% of the hardware is already in his possession.

And that motherboard for $160 is a nice deal. Hopefully it wasn't open box?

No it was not open box so im really really happy with that deal. As i mentioned earlier i really hope i did not mess up the socket. :/ 
m
l
!