Intel & AMD News - Doing Good in the World

1.) Intel and AMD rank among the Top 20 US companies according to Newsweek for their "Green Initiative", which is lead by mostly technology drive companies... (We won't count Dell, as we're all about Custom Built PC's... not OEM :lol: ) This is becoming more and more a focus in the global world the "Green Initiative" and it is nice to see our CPU companies leading the way.

Source: http://www.newsweek.com/2010/10/18/green-rankings-us-companies.html

2.) Intel Invests between $6 billion and $8 billion in Next-Gen Manufacturing Technology in U.S., meaning adding more jobs to the US, where unemployment is still high.

Source: http://newsroom.intel.com/docs/DOC-1344


I found these two stories to be interesting about Intel and AMD and not just looking at them as who has the better CPU, which is better price to performance... etc. It is nice at times to take a step back and look at them as company and what they are doing in the world.
8 answers Last reply
More about intel news good world
  1. Well at least they are not causing Foxconn employees to jump out windows, which means they have a leg or two up on Apple :D.
  2. $6 to $8 Billion. Hey Intel. Wanna "donate" a few mill to me?
  3. Quote:
    (We won't count Dell, as we're all about Custom Built PC's... not OEM :lol: )

    Yes, but those OEMs produce 90% of the computers the Average Joe uses.

    Quote:
    Well at least they are not causing Foxconn employees to jump out windows, which means they have a leg or two up on Apple

    Most (actually, pretty much all) Ethernet sockets, CPU sockets,etc used on motherboards are made by Foxconn.
  4. On the "home front" though, it is nice to see that both Intel and AMD are trying to do things right. With a company as large as intel, they have tons of cash to throw around and it appears that they are spending quite a bit towards improving sustainability and the environment, as well as adding jobs to the sluggish economy.
  5. But still the manufacturing cost in the US is quite high.
  6. buwish said:
    ... it is nice to see that both Intel and AMD are trying to do things right.

    They do not have any choice. Many of the by-products (a politically correct term for "waste") of semiconductor manufacturing are incredibly toxic without additional treatment. And with additional treatment, much of it is recyclable. Plus it is great PR.
  7. Greensmith is my computer name :P
  8. jsc said:
    They do not have any choice. Many of the by-products (a politically correct term for "waste") of semiconductor manufacturing are incredibly toxic without additional treatment. And with additional treatment, much of it is recyclable. Plus it is great PR.


    Very true. Things like arsenic, antimony, lead, the various acids involved in the process aren't exactly the easiest things to dispose of unless treated.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Intel AMD