Sign in with
Your question

P67 vs z68

Last response: in Motherboards
June 13, 2011 10:47:32 PM

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am putting together a new PC and was wondering if I should get a P67 or Z68 motherboard. I am going to be mostly using it for gaming and streaming movies. My preference is to get the motherboard from Amazon as I am a prime customer and I dont pay sales tax( I live in CA). The problem is that they dont have many Z68 motherboards yet. The parts that I have so far are a i5-2500k, GTX 570, Spinpoint F3. I have no experience with overclocking but I am going to try with this PC. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I do plan to eventually go SLI but not right now.

Thank You

More about : p67 z68

June 14, 2011 12:21:48 AM

From what I've come to understand (keep in mind I'm a newb) the difference between the two is not huge. If you're going to have a SSD (which you won't from your description), then a Z68 is a better choice.

Overall, the Z68 is a better choice but there's no problem going with a P67. That's just the general answer I've found through previous searching, so I can't really back up my answer any more than I have.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
June 15, 2011 4:06:08 AM

nd4vr said:
Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am putting together a new PC and was wondering if I should get a P67 or Z68 motherboard. I am going to be mostly using it for gaming and streaming movies. My preference is to get the motherboard from Amazon as I am a prime customer and I dont pay sales tax( I live in CA). The problem is that they dont have many Z68 motherboards yet. The parts that I have so far are a i5-2500k, GTX 570, Spinpoint F3. I have no experience with overclocking but I am going to try with this PC. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I do plan to eventually go SLI but not right now.

Thank You

First of all -- I think you'll be thrilled either way you go. I personally bought a a P8P67 (plain-vanilla version) fairly recently and love it and don't regret not buying the z68 at all. Having said that, let's break down what differentiates the P67 and the z68:

1) Z68 has SSD Caching

2) Z68 offers access to HD3000 (in the case of the "k"-sku chips) graphics, allowing both:
-- integrated graphics to serve as a backup to your discrete card
-- support for accelerated video transcoding, which Intel calls quicksync

On caching -- there are several reports out there that indicate that the performance gain provided by the HD caching is minimal, some might say the gain is on the margins. I wouldn't pay extra for the HD caching.

On using HD3000 as a backup -- it's possible that your video card will fail at some point. It would indeed be helpful to have the onboard graphics just-in-case. Worth paying extra for? Doubtful; in a pinch, you could always run to fry's and snag some $20 no-name to use for the couple of days when you're RMA'ing. But we should note that video card failures are fairly rare.

On quicksync -- one note about quicksync is that it will only help at all with transcoding; it will not help in the common circumstance in which you rip a DVD or bul-ray. Quicksync offers a benefit only when decoding data; therefore, the benefit it offers is speeding-up the decoding of an already digitized file before transcoding it to another format or to a smaller resolution. This would be useful if you have a ton of high-res movies sitting on a HD right now and you want to be able to quickly download them to your iPhone or something like that.

On price -- if you look at newegg, you'll find that there are bargains to be had on z68. For example, there is not much delta between the price of ASRock's PRO3 P67 and Z68 boards. On the other hand, there is significant deviation between the price of the Extreme4 P67 and the Extreme4 z68. It's the same story with Asus's P8P67 and P8Z68.

If it were me and I wanted something with more features than the ASRock Pro3, I would -- and did -- go P67. But, if the Pro3 were enough, I'd probably go ahead and pay the extra nine bucks...

Good luck; like I said, whether you go with P67 or Z68 Sandy Bridge is really something else.
m
l
a c 75 V Motherboard
June 15, 2011 5:01:59 PM

In most cases there are 2 features on the Z68 that are not available on the P67. Those features are Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology), which allow you to set up SSD caching with an SSD. The second feature which is on most of the Z68 board (not on Gigabyte boards) is support for the IGP (Intergraded Graphics on Processor) when matched up with the Lucidlogix Virtu Software will check to see where the best performance comes from the dedicated video card or the Intel QuickSync Technology. While the Z68 boards are a little more expensive it isn’t so much more that the price is a big factor on making this choice.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
June 15, 2011 8:58:45 PM

Also the z68 boards don't have plentiful PCI-e (16x and 8x) slots at the moment. You can buy an Asus Extreme 4 and get like 5 slots. There are no z68 board that have quad SLI capabilities...to my knowledge.

The thing that always bugs me about the z68vs p67 debate is that if you're going to get an i5 2500k or i7 2600k, you feel like it is a waste not to utilize technology already build into the chip..so you learn toward z68.

Good luck!
m
l
August 11, 2011 3:30:01 AM

Very timely I found this discussion. I am looking to create a new PC, for Photographs & Video (Photoshop CS5 Master which includes video editiing). I already have a video card which I will reuse: PNY GeForce GTX480. I have thought about Z68 boards, but ot sure against P67. A new CPU will also be used. My comparison configurations:

P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 INTEL P67 DIGI PLUS VRM
Intel Core i7 2600K / 3.4 GHz - LGA1155 Socket - L3 8 MB - Box
Corsair MemoryPart Number:CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

Or

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 Express
Motherboard and Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40 GHz Quad-Core Unlocked Bundle"
Corsair MemoryPart Number:CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

Cost is pretty close, from what I have seen. For HD config, 1 SSD (120mb) for OS & apps (already have, for Win7), RAID for data (I already have drives). External storage for backup.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
August 11, 2011 3:33:11 AM

hbottjer said:
Very timely I found this discussion. I am looking to create a new PC, for Photographs & Video (Photoshop CS5 Master which includes video editiing). I already have a video card which I will reuse: PNY GeForce GTX480. I have thought about Z68 boards, but ot sure against P67. A new CPU will also be used. My comparison configurations:

P8P67 PRO REV 3.1 INTEL P67 DIGI PLUS VRM
Intel Core i7 2600K / 3.4 GHz - LGA1155 Socket - L3 8 MB - Box
Corsair MemoryPart Number:CMX8GX3M4A1600C9

Or

ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Intel Z68 Express
Motherboard and Intel Core i7-2600K 3.40 GHz Quad-Core Unlocked Bundle"
Corsair MemoryPart Number:CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9

Cost is pretty close, from what I have seen. For HD config, 1 SSD (120mb) for OS & apps (already have, for Win7), RAID for data (I already have drives). External storage for backup.

If the cost is pretty close -- I'm saying, within $10 -- go for the Z68. Haven't heard to many folks have problems with the new Z68s. I personally run a P8P67 and have for a few months -- love it; what a great board.

You'll enjoy the sandy bridge magic whichever way you go. Good luck!
m
l
!