Sign in with
Your question

What is this ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 5, 2010 4:17:45 AM

http://i.imgur.com/28QH5.jpg

Basically, during certain times of day in APB, I get a strange flickering "square" around shadowed objects.
It's's the exact same color as the shadows, and is only visible from certain distances and usually certain angles.

I've run OCCT GPU, unigine heaven 2.1, tropics, furmark, and 3dmark vantage, all with no artifacts or error

So is it artifacting or a game/driver bug?

More about : question

a c 189 U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 4:29:46 AM

What about the other games? Does the artifacts exist?
July 5, 2010 4:33:49 AM

wa1 said:
What about the other games? Does the artifacts exist?

Well it's not really artifacting in APB, but no.
I've put 60hr into APB and had no bugs other than this one, which again, is only visible from certain distances, certain angles, and during specific times of day.

I've also put 30 or so hours into Just Cause 2, 12-15 into Star Wars: The Force Unleashed, 7 or 8 into The Scourge Project, and 2 or 3 into Bad Company 2, none of which had any visual anomalies.
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 5, 2010 4:39:21 AM

It's likely just a programing error in the game. Have you asked anyone else playing the game if it is the same for them?
July 5, 2010 4:42:23 AM

jyjjy said:
It's likely just a programing error in the game. Have you asked anyone else playing the game if it is the same for them?

No I haven't, but because of the fast paced nature of the game, I doubt many would even notice it.
I have asked on the tech support forums, but I got no responses.

I would think that if it were a GPU issue, I'd have errors in OCCT gpu test (ran it for 6hr with a GPU temp of 95c - yes, I'm that crazy)
July 6, 2010 12:14:00 AM

Bump again

Just want to know if it's artifacting or something to worry about.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 12:15:31 AM

It is probably just a problem with the game like I said. If it was something serious about your card you would be seeing more than just a hard to spot issue on one game.
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 5:39:07 AM

Such minor artifacts happen all the time in every other game; there's no need to worry.
July 6, 2010 6:09:51 AM

Tamz_msc said:
Such minor artifacts happen all the time in every other game; there's no need to worry.

Alright, thanks for this reply.
I have one more question. What types of artifacting should I be looking for?
I know playtool has that "diagnosing" page for figuring out video card problems, but are the only types of artifacts? Artifacts are fairly reliable, in the sense that they will always be there if there is a problem, correct? So then I will KNOW if something is wrong with my card?

So minor artifacts or graphics bugs are either game or driver related, whereas the more major stuff such as video card core or vrm artifacts are caused by either defective or dying hardware?
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 6:55:20 AM

The type of artifacts will vary according to the game, but in case you see major artifacts such as textures not loading properly, weird and random colours are displayed here and there, strange coloured shapes piercing throug h the ground and buildings, then you can be pretty sure that its a graphics problem(not necessarily a problem with the card, might be a problem with the game itself, driver incompatibility, OS incompatibility or incorrect OC settings etc)
July 6, 2010 6:10:46 PM

Tamz_msc said:
The type of artifacts will vary according to the game, but in case you see major artifacts such as textures not loading properly, weird and random colours are displayed here and there, strange coloured shapes piercing throug h the ground and buildings, then you can be pretty sure that its a graphics problem(not necessarily a problem with the card, might be a problem with the game itself, driver incompatibility, OS incompatibility or incorrect OC settings etc)

Alright, thanks.
Now I have one more question.
Is there an application out there that will for sure show me if something is wrong?
Say I get a graphics bug in a game, is there an application I can run, like furmark or occt (do those do it?) that will show me if its hardware or driver/game interaction issue?
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 6:16:39 PM

Furmark will stress test your card. It will push it beyond levels you will ever get during normal gaming. If it comes through that without any errors/artifacting then your card is fine.
July 6, 2010 6:20:38 PM

jyjjy said:
Furmark will stress test your card. It will push it beyond levels you will ever get during normal gaming. If it comes through that without any errors/artifacting then your card is fine.

Does OCCT error checking work as good as furmark?
I'd get really bored just sitting there watching furmark, so if OCCT error checknig works just as well but reports even when unattended, then I'd rather use that.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 6:25:58 PM

I've never used it myself but it should be fine. Considering you have already run it for 6 hours that should be more than enough. Really I think you are taking a small graphical glitch in one game too seriously. Games very frequently have things like that, especially new ones like APB.
July 6, 2010 6:28:27 PM

jyjjy said:
I've never used it myself but it should be fine. Considering you have already run it for 6 hours that should be more than enough. Really I think you are taking a small graphical glitch in one game too seriously. Games very frequently have things like that, especially new ones like APB.

I've already accepted that the graphical glitch is an issue with APB, but I am very OCD about things like this, and I am mainly asking so that I can have easy peace of mind in the future.
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 6:32:14 PM

Have you overclocked the card? At least that way all your testing can have a practical purpose :p 
a b U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 6:37:22 PM

You have ATI and Nvidia architectures, and within either company you have different generations of gpu's. Sometimes they handle shading , shadows differently. Possibly on another gpu/setting that could look different.
Even in that photo, the shadows from the man in the background are squiggly compared to the other shadows. Its a slightly imperfect video game world :) 
July 6, 2010 6:38:47 PM

jyjjy said:
Have you overclocked the card? At least that way all your testing can have a practical purpose :p 

It was factory OC'd by 10mhz on the core.
SO HA
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 6, 2010 7:12:44 PM

lol
bump that sh*t up yo
!