For your amusement, and outrage

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
It's unbelievable really. But like it said on the review, a lot of people will look at NewEgg reviews, see the four-star rating and think it's good value for money. It's a shame really.

lol, that was amusing indeed. 1 point for performance lol. There is a brand called Sunbeam that make kettles and toasters in australia, good quality ones, dont get them confused! Although this power supply was probably pulled from a toaster! Someone should do a review and call it - "the cheap power supply roundup" and review all the cheap nasties so people know what not to buy.

i approve of this thread
CasegearsBS580.jpg

4745454b

Titan
I really wish Jonny or Hardocp would do a bunch of reviews of low end units, just so we can see what they can do. I get that most if not all of the higher wattage units can do well, but I like reading about PSUs that blow up. They should spend their time reviewing the 300-600W sunbeam and Diablotek units just so we can watch the fire works.

newegg reviews can be very useful. You just need to know how to read them.

First, total the one and two egg reviews. If there are more than 20% or at most 30% bad reviews, skip the product.

Then read the bad reviews. They will fall into three categories: those written by newbs and "don't have a clue" people, those who found shortcomings that may or may not apply to you, and those that indicate a truly bad product. Pay close attention to the second and third categories.

And then, good product tend to get inflated reviews. A product does only what it is supposed to do and the reviewer gives it 5 eggs.

Here's a good example (personally relevant to me) of review inflation: the 81% 5 egg rating for the Antec 900 case. I would give it no more than 4 eggs because of the truly awful cable management. And I own three of them - all modded ... for better cable management.

I fear damaging my equipment too often with too many crap PSU's. All three of us (Paul, Wolf and I) have had to had SunMoon repairs due to faulty PSU's.

I saw a remark to that effect on Wolf's last review, and I think I remember you and he both having to replace test equipment in the past.

What baffles me is why the companies that make that crap have not been fined out of existence, or had members of senior management thrown in the slammer or put down.

4745454b

Titan
Cheers if that is a rep of JG. I really like having companies and websites having a profile on tech forums. I also saw that review JTT. It was in the next review after I made that comment. He switched over to a kill a watt, perhaps we can test a bunch of PSUs with those? Just something so the next time someone comes on here talking about a 600W PSU that cost $20 on the egg and we can point him to the review where it dies after outputting only 250W.

shovenose

Distinguished
lol! cant you sue them for false advertising. while youre at it sue okia (booadway com copr) i got a 500w psu (got on newegg $15, becuase i wanted to look at the build quality.
my observtions:
-the heatsinks are tiny. 3 inch surface area (couning where the black things are)
-fan is noisy to make up for it
-thin wiring
-ac 120v plug was a bad fit
-included power cable ended up in the trash because it was skinny as hell
-only 8 or so small slits for air intek-wtf?
- shorted it out. the pcb next to the fuse is burned, and one of the black things on the heatsink exploded. but the fuse tests good :)
-no input filter
-crap caps
-flimsy casing
-claimed dual 12v rails. lol
-330uf primary caps. not suitable for a 500w...
-no pfc

verdict: a low-quality 200w...

we used to use super cheap unbranded psu's where I used to work building PC's. During testing about 1/75 would blow up with smoke right when you plugged in the AC, before the PC was even turned on. Consequently, the company is now out of business.

Not at all, I think he was referring to the acceptability of using a Kill-a-Watt instead of risking more expensive equipment when testing a suspect bad PSU.

geeknation

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Actually in all likely hood he was reffering to my post, since he's most likely that he's saying it's acceptable to watch a cheap psu blowup where as if you watch a high quality $170 psu blow up it's depresing.

geeknation

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Ok, that may be... In most cases. However there are always bad parts in any batch, you could buy a million military grade PSUs and I'm positive that you'll have a few DOAs or ones that blow up in your face. Not all quality control employees are avid hard workers.