paisat007

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
specs of my comp is :

quad core q8200 2.4 ghz

4gb ddr2 ram

9800gt 1gb graphics card ...

please help me guys coz i am buying a new monitor ..

A 24 inch monitor is likely 1920x1080 or above. The 9800GT is not really intended for gaming at such high resolutions. It will still be able to play almost all games acceptably but not at high settings. For your resolution you should be looking at cards like the HD5770/HD4870/GTX 260 or better.

It will depend on the game as well, if the title can use dual cards then it may struggle it may not and some new games don't use two cards (JC2 for example) either way a single 8800GT does surprisingly well at 19 x 10 and two do not struggle at all at that res and it's the res you have to worry about not the size of the screen.

I know he didn't mention anything about SLi, I mentioned it because I'm using 8800GT's in SLi but not every game uses SLi and on those games only one card (which happens to be very much the same as the OP's) is being used and it works just fine at a resolution that yourself and others have said it was not intended for, which is something I don't completely agree with. Why would a 775 board not be SLi capable?

The vast majority of LGA775 boards are an Intel chipset. Out of the 123 LGA 775 boards on newegg right now exactly 1 of them is SLI capable.
If you disagree with me suggesting that a 9800GT isn't really appropriate for 1920x1080 you'll have to forgive although I did say it would play almost all games acceptably. In contrast it seems most around here believe even an HD5770/HD4870/GTX 260 doesn't really cut it at that resolution these days.

That was not always the case was it? And I said that the 9800GT might do better than you think but it would depend on the title.

They weren't so much rare as expensive, for the good ones at any rate. There were quite a few cheaper ones but they usually suffered premature failures due to not enough layers being used in the PCB.