Olympus durability?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 27, 2004 7:43:32 PM

Greets,

I was wondering if there were any problems with current Olympus line-up in
terms of durability. I'm considering a used 750UZ or a new 765UZ. I'd like to
get a digicam that will last me at least 3-4 years without problems.

I know there's no 750/765 that old yet, but I was wondering if there were
any known problems with their older cams?

My second choice would be a Canon A95, but I could really use the zoom on the
Oly.

Thnx for any help.

--
Feel the Sound - www.audiofil.net
d.B. - Croatia

More about : olympus durability

Anonymous
December 27, 2004 7:43:33 PM

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd wrote:
> Greets,
>
> I was wondering if there were any problems with current Olympus
line-up in
> terms of durability. I'm considering a used 750UZ or a new 765UZ. I'd
like to
> get a digicam that will last me at least 3-4 years without problems.
>
> I know there's no 750/765 that old yet, but I was wondering if there
were
> any known problems with their older cams?
>
> My second choice would be a Canon A95, but I could really use the
zoom on the
> Oly.
>
> Thnx for any help.
>
> --
> Feel the Sound - www.audiofil.net
> d.B. - Croatia

I have owned a Oly C 740 for nearly a year and have had no problems
with it. It is almost like the 750. I usually use automatic to shoot.
You nearly have to be an engineer to figure out all the settings. I
hightly recommend the OLY.
R.
December 27, 2004 7:43:33 PM

I have the E20n . About three years now and all I can say is it built like a
tank.
Now on the other hand the wife is on her third camera, Nikon Coolpic 950
lasted less than three months and back to Nikon for repair and back and
back, Canon S400. The Canon lasted about a year then if was hit with the E18
problem. So now she just bought a Canon S500 for Christmas. We will see how
long this one last. But she has no fear missing a good shot of some thing
special because I always have the Oly E20.
PS This time I made her buy the extended warranty

"Dalibor Bauernfrajnd" <REMOVEcortez_300b@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greets,
>
> I was wondering if there were any problems with current Olympus line-up in
> terms of durability. I'm considering a used 750UZ or a new 765UZ. I'd like
> get a digicam that will last me at least 3-4 years without problems.
>
> I know there's no 750/765 that old yet, but I was wondering if there were
> any known problems with their older cams?
>
> My second choice would be a Canon A95, but I could really use the zoom on
the
> Oly.
>
> Thnx for any help.
>
> --
> Feel the Sound - www.audiofil.net
> d.B. - Croatia
December 28, 2004 1:53:20 AM

In article <1104173085.950188.39430@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
rbrazil@sbcglobal.net says...
> I have owned a Oly C 740 for nearly a year and have had no problems
> with it. It is almost like the 750. I usually use automatic to shoot.
> You nearly have to be an engineer to figure out all the settings. I
> hightly recommend the OLY.
> R.

It's really not that complicated :)
Thnx for the info!

--
Feel the Sound - www.audiofil.net
d.B.
Anonymous
December 28, 2004 1:54:40 AM

In article <AbKdnS1YxLHy903cRVn-2Q@adelphia.com>, joycegolf@adelphia.net
says...
> PS This time I made her buy the extended warranty

Good thinking :)
The E18 is probably the reason I'm affraid to go with A95.
We'll see if I can stretch $ to the 765.

Thnx.

--
Feel the Sound - www.audiofil.net
d.B.
December 28, 2004 5:54:46 AM

"Dalibor Bauernfrajnd" <REMOVEcortez_300b@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Greets,
>
> I was wondering if there were any problems with current Olympus line-up in
> terms of durability. I'm considering a used 750UZ or a new 765UZ. I'd like
> get a digicam that will last me at least 3-4 years without problems.
>
> I know there's no 750/765 that old yet, but I was wondering if there were
> any known problems with their older cams?
>
> My second choice would be a Canon A95, but I could really use the zoom on
the
> Oly.
>
> Thnx for any help.
>
> --
> Feel the Sound - www.audiofil.net
> d.B. - Croatia

Before getting my 20D, I owned an Oly C-5050Z. That had to be one of the
most rugged consumer P&S cameras (not to mention fantastic manual controls
for such a level of camera). Even though I own a Canon DSLR now, I still
think Oly make the most robust P&S cameras. The C-5050Z I had was made of
magnesium alloy which would make even a DSLR Rebel owner envious (from a
ruggedness point of view!). Highly recommended in terms of durability, feel,
controls and lenses - I really loved that little f/1.8 lens.
December 28, 2004 1:16:16 PM

In my house we now own a 460, 490, 2020z, 560. and 5060. Before that a
340D. I travel a great deal, nationally and internationally, and always
have one or two cameras with me.

The only camera with which I have had a serious problem is the 5060,
which dropped dead about six weeks after I bought it. Sent it to Oly and
they had it back to me within two weeks. I am not sure to this day what
happened, but it is possible that I caused the problem by removing and
inserting a memory card with the power on. Dunno. Otherwise, the only
other problem was a sticking mode dial on the 2020z after three years of
very heavy use, fixed with a squirt of electronics cleaner. In my
opinion the Olys are very, very well constructed. And, my dealer tells
me that they have by far the best turnarounds on repairs if needed.

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd wrote:
> Greets,
>
> I was wondering if there were any problems with current Olympus line-up in
> terms of durability. I'm considering a used 750UZ or a new 765UZ. I'd like to
> get a digicam that will last me at least 3-4 years without problems.
>
> I know there's no 750/765 that old yet, but I was wondering if there were
> any known problems with their older cams?
>
> My second choice would be a Canon A95, but I could really use the zoom on the
> Oly.
>
> Thnx for any help.

December 28, 2004 2:44:55 PM

My old C3030 3.3MP has really taken a beating including dents from being
dropped.
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 2:03:25 PM

In article <WV3Ad.10291$3v5.9424@fe2.texas.rr.com>, musty@nospam.net says...
> Before getting my 20D, I owned an Oly C-5050Z. That had to be one of the
> most rugged consumer P&S cameras (not to mention fantastic manual controls
> for such a level of camera). Even though I own a Canon DSLR now, I still
> think Oly make the most robust P&S cameras. The C-5050Z I had was made of
> magnesium alloy which would make even a DSLR Rebel owner envious (from a
> ruggedness point of view!). Highly recommended in terms of durability, feel,
> controls and lenses - I really loved that little f/1.8 lens.

Thnx for the info, but this is interesting. There isn't a single 5050 here in
Croatia that hasn't died at least once and it's the only Oly that should be
avoided here.

--
Feel the Sound - www.audiofil.net
d.B.
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 5:34:53 PM

Dalibor Bauernfrajnd wrote in

> I was wondering if there were any problems with current Olympus
> line-up in terms of durability. I'm considering a used 750UZ or a new
> 765UZ. I'd like to get a digicam that will last me at least 3-4 years
> without problems.
>
> I know there's no 750/765 that old yet, but I was wondering if there
> were any known problems with their older cams?

I seem to have had a different experience with Olympus than the other
people posting here. My C750 stopped turning on last summer, about 4
months after purchase. It was in warranty. (Took me a few months to get
around to bringing it in.) Took Olympus 2 1/2 months to get it back, and
when it just came back, it was unrepaired. They refused to honor the
warranty, claiming the camera was water damaged. The store is still
trying to find out why it took so long. I did a Google-groups search and
do not find very many reports of this sort of behavior by Olympus, which
is meager personal consolation.

--
David Winsemius
Anonymous

>> I was wondering if there were any problems with current Olympus
>> line-up in terms of durability. I'm considering a used 750UZ or a new
>> 765UZ. I'd like to get a digicam that will last me at least 3-4 years
>> without problems.
>>
>> I know there's no 750/765 that old yet, but I was wondering if there
>> were any known problems with their older cams?

I have been using Oly cameras for many years. Started with the C2000 series,
then the C3000, then the 2100, then the C700, eventually went up to the E10
and now the E-1.
Have never had a problem with any of them. Only time I needed service was to
the the firmware updated on one of the C3000 series, and that was my choice
not out of necessity. I did need a repair on one of the lenses for the E-1
and the turnaround was very quick. (Maybe I should not have fallen on the
ice with the camera and lens......)
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 1:27:42 AM

In article <ZmwId.64482$ld2.23380830@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Steven Wandy
says...

> I have been using Oly cameras for many years. Started with the C2000 series,
> then the C3000, then the 2100, then the C700, eventually went up to the E10
> and now the E-1.
> Have never had a problem with any of them. Only time I needed service was to
> the the firmware updated on one of the C3000 series, and that was my choice
> not out of necessity. I did need a repair on one of the lenses for the E-1
> and the turnaround was very quick. (Maybe I should not have fallen on the
> ice with the camera and lens......)

Same here. The Olympus 2000 I bought in 1999 is now being used by my
brother in Central Africa, the 1400 and 4040 have been sold (and were
working flawlessly when I sold them). The 5050 I bought in early 2003 is
still working fine, as is the 8080 which I'm currently using.
--

Alfred Molon
January 23, 2005 1:27:43 AM

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 22:27:42 +0100, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molonREMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article <ZmwId.64482$ld2.23380830@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Steven Wandy
>says...
>
>> I have been using Oly cameras for many years. Started with the C2000 series,
>> then the C3000, then the 2100, then the C700, eventually went up to the E10
>> and now the E-1.
>> Have never had a problem with any of them. Only time I needed service was to
>> the the firmware updated on one of the C3000 series, and that was my choice
>> not out of necessity. I did need a repair on one of the lenses for the E-1
>> and the turnaround was very quick. (Maybe I should not have fallen on the
>> ice with the camera and lens......)
>
>Same here. The Olympus 2000 I bought in 1999 is now being used by my
>brother in Central Africa, the 1400 and 4040 have been sold (and were
>working flawlessly when I sold them). The 5050 I bought in early 2003 is
>still working fine, as is the 8080 which I'm currently using.

My C-3030 is working just fine... I have had the lens armored since
pretty much the beginning.

I'm hopeful my new C-5050 will be just the same. So far, so good.

And my old OM-2N SLR... still going. XA sold in full working condition
a few years back. I have always felt that Olympus makes a good
quality, durable camera.

Cynthia
January 24, 2005 9:14:03 PM

> The 5050 I bought in early 2003 is
> still working fine, as is the 8080 which I'm currently using.
> --

Alfred, how would you compare the two cameras? I have the C5050 (my third
Olympus digital), and I love it. With my TCON-17 and FL-20 I've got most of
the bases covered for the type of photography I do. Of course, I can't help
but be attracted to the 8MP, but are there also other advantages that might
justify stepping up to the C8080? Disadvantages?

I've seen a lot of the work you've done with your C5050, and, quite
honestly, I've got a long ways to go before I approach that, so possibly
upgrading is more of a mental thing than any practical need ; )

jake
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 11:20:08 PM

In article <LVaJd.51963$re1.12517@fe2.columbus.rr.com>, Jake says...

> > The 5050 I bought in early 2003 is
> > still working fine, as is the 8080 which I'm currently using.
> > --
>
> Alfred, how would you compare the two cameras? I have the C5050 (my third
> Olympus digital), and I love it. With my TCON-17 and FL-20 I've got most of
> the bases covered for the type of photography I do. Of course, I can't help
> but be attracted to the 8MP, but are there also other advantages that might
> justify stepping up to the C8080? Disadvantages?
>
> I've seen a lot of the work you've done with your C5050, and, quite
> honestly, I've got a long ways to go before I approach that, so possibly
> upgrading is more of a mental thing than any practical need ; )

I desperately needed more pixels, so going up from the 5050 to the 8080
was a no-brainer. However the 8080 has a few drawbacks (compared to the
5050):

- noise is a bit higher (the 5050 has at ISO 64 the same noise level as
the 8080 at ISO 50 just to make an example)
- the 8080 writes at 0.9MB/s to the CF card, while the 5050 writes at
2.5MB/s to the CF card
- the 5050 has a more bright lens
- the 8080 is much more heavy and it is therefore more difficult to get
sharp handheld exposures at 1/15s (you have to be careful). No problem
instead getting sharp handheld shots at 1/15s with the 5050.

For the rest the 8080 is superior to the 5050 and it has over 60% more
pixels.
--

Alfred Molon