I've been trying to put together a computer dedicated solely to editing video. I want to stay under $1500. Here's what I'm looking at so far:
Intel i7 930 - $290
Asus P6X58D-E - $240
Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6gb ddr3 1600 Latency 6 - $170
Corsair Nova Series 64gb SSD (for operating system/programs) - $150
WD Caviar Black 1.5tb - $117
Corsair HX 850w PSU - $160
Sapphire 100283-3L 5770 - $135
Antec 900 tower - $105
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - $100
(With different discounts and combo deals from Newegg.com this all comes up to about $1412.)
Will this set up work? I'll be moving out into the hot humid jungles of Indonesia in a few months so I'll probably add some fans and filters since there will be no air conditioning and about a million bugs trying to get in. I'll also be running it off solar power run through an inverter so the less power consumption the better. Is this an easily upgradable system as far as video card, RAM, and hard drive go?
Like I said, this will ONLY be used to edit hd video. I have a laptop for other stuff.
Indonesia? Hmmm ...home sweet home...
Hmmm... nice configuration you got there.
1. 850W is an overkill overkill for only a single HD5770. 450W should be more than enough
2. You will be cleaning your rig very often in Indonesia mosquitos, dusts, humidity, etc.
3. Corsair Nova SSDs are not fast enough, go get OCZ Vertex 2 or Crucial C300.
4. You must definitely buy a UPS, trust me on this.
5. Be carefull with OCing a proc in Indonesia, more 33'C air temperature without AC won't leave you much space during OCing
6. Watch out about those humidity, your slots, and other components tend to rust very easily. I use a demoisturizer inside my PC (back home in Indonesia), the one I can replace monthly.
Hmm $686AR + $100 for OS I would double check if those apps/software even take advantage of GPU acceleration 1st. If not config is good as is else hit a discrete...could be professional class GPUs offer u best gains/stability me thinks hehe